Dell Optiplex 160

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinhd

Cadet
I noticed that when downloading the ISO it states a requirement of a minimum of 8GB ram.

For my purposes I am hoping that I can still deploy but with 2-4 GB ram. Optiplex 160 has a maximum Ram of 4GB.

My use case is as a small NAS to allow 2-3 cameras to record over NFS for storage only. I will not be using this for anything else. My reasoning is I can puchase these units for about $35 each. Throw in a 1TB HD and 4 GB ram am I spend less than$150 for a simple NAs solution which I need to deploy in 8 separate locations.

Units have an Atom 230 1.6GHz cpu and maximum 4 GB ram,

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Side note: why do so many people think the "minimum requirements" are merely suggestions?
They don't apply to me. I am only using FreeNAS for <insertusualfunctionhere> for only $x users for only $x hours a week

cyberjock

Inactive Account
^^^ That. Exactly that.

Everyone has some justification for why they are an exception (that's the American way, right?) and so they justify (even if the justification is total bullsh*t) and they are more often than not the norm.

People love to think they are special, but we're the norm.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
^^^ That. Exactly that.

Everyone has some justification for why they are an exception (that's the American way, right?) and so they justify (even if the justification is total bullsh*t) and they are more often than not the norm.

People love to think they are special, but we're the norm.
Well, I think you're special. :D

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Sure, by the time you bring a T20 up to minimum requirements, i.e. at least 8GB of RAM, plus a pair of 1TB NAS drives (because using ZFS with a single drive makes no sense), you've spend more like $300. The point is, you end up with a decent entry level FreeNAS box instead of an obsolete piece of, uh, equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.