SOLVED How do you handle media storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwslippey

Contributor
I've recently started building a new NAS to replace my old (which I'm still not sure if it runs ECC or not freenas box)

Along the way I've though about some possible changes I'd like to make. I though about (If it's possible) migrating the whole existing pool to the new hardware (new everything by the way)

But I've also been thinking I might like to change how I store media. My previous setup was 6 drives, raid Z2. I was thinking, I might like to pull the media off the raid z2 array (since it's replaceable data) and that might save me some space, since I'm not storing the media redundantly.

I'm curious how the pros do it here?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Raid z2 for everything. Disks are cheap so when I need to storage I just add more.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

rwslippey

Contributor
Raid z2 for everything. Disks are cheap so when I need to storage I just add more.

Very true... disks are cheap. I find the more expensive part being the hardware to support more disks.
Any more disks and I'm going to need a rack mount lol.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It all depends on if you could delete your data right now and wouldn't care. If your don't then use a stripe and get more space. I know it would take me way to long to get all my data back so u like having some protection.

rwslippey

Contributor
It all depends on if you could delete your data right now and wouldn't care. If your don't then use a stripe and get more space. I know it would take me way to long to get all my data back so u like having some protection.

Good point... Took quite a few months to get everything I have now...

melloa

Wizard
Very true... disks are cheap. I find the more expensive part being the hardware to support more disks.

Not really. I use pull outs from servers (M1015, H200, etc) flashed to IT mode and work fine. H200 are ~$30/$40. M1015 a little bit more ~$99. Check resources -> hardware recommendation for more suggestions.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I though about (If it's possible) migrating the whole existing pool to the new hardware (new everything by the way)
Yes. Actually you can easily migrate all the software to the new hardware and bring your pool.

Your storage is up to you but if you are comfortable with RAIDZ2 and would like to keep it, you could buy larger hard drives to replace the current ones and increase the capacity. You need to understand how that is done but that is a path many people take. Or you could reduce down to RAIDZ1 and have only a single drive failure safety net. It depends on if the data is important and/or if you really want to reload it all if you did loose the data. The bulk of us prefer RAIDZ2 or something similar.

rwslippey

Contributor
melloa,

Yea you're right... I was thinking more along the lines of power, ram, and a case for it to fit in. Those big 24 drive cases are expensive... but I do see your point... Still beats having to buy another whole NAS to expand

Joe, I'm happy with RaidZ2 for my important data. I was thinking of moving the media over to a less redundant array as it is replaceable but as sweetandlow pointed out, it did take a while to fill those datasets and I really don't think I'd like to do that all over again. I guess it's just a comparison between the cost of storage and the headache of reproducing the data. In most cases the cost is far cheaper than reproducing it. In this case I think it's borderline, but I'm lazy so, I guess that answers that question lol

I'm still considering a from scratch build though... Just so I can kind of reorganize things... That should be fun though...

Thanks for the thoughts everyone

Stux

MVP
Not really. I use pull outs from servers (M1015, H200, etc) flashed to IT mode and work fine. H200 are ~$30/$40. M1015 a little bit more ~$99. Check resources -> hardware recommendation for more suggestions.

M1115 tend to be a bit cheaper too

Stux

MVP
If it were me, and it was, I'd step up to a 24 bay case and start with 8 drives in z2. Just about the same parity loss as 6 drives in z1.

Then just add another 8 drives one day... and again... and then replace the original 8 drives.

See my build thread ;)

rwslippey

Contributor
If it were me, and it was, I'd step up to a 24 bay case and start with 8 drives in z2. Just about the same parity loss as 6 drives in z1.

Then just add another 8 drives one day... and again... and then replace the original 8 drives.

See my build thread ;)

I like it! I can see my wife not being too happy with that though... better save that plan for when I get a bigger place (currently a 2 bedroom apartment)

Status
Not open for further replies.