problem with built-in media user in V11

Status
Not open for further replies.
After upgrading from version 9.3 to 11, I discovered that version 11 has a built in "media" user which conflicts with the scripts I want to use with my plugins. I've tried modifying it in the GUI but the UID is greyed out. Then I tried removing it in the shell with both the "rmuser" and "pw deluser" FreeBSD commands. The rmuser command appeared to execute, but the media user remained. The pw deluser command executed with the with the same result first time I ran it . The second time it returned a "no such user", but when I click "view users" in the GUI, the "media" user is still there.

Is there a way to either remove the existing "media" user, or assign it the UID of 816 and permissions/ownership so it works with existing scripts? I'm fairly new to FreeNAS having used Windows since Windows for Workgroups, and I've bought books on FreeBSD, Ubuntu, and FreeNAS trying to learn, but this is very frustrating and discouraging.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a solution if I knew how! That's what I get for using canned scripts before I understand exactly how they work.
Nevertheless, for more circumstances than just this. I would think it would be useful to know if there is a way to delete a native user like "media". Is that possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.