built-in/system user question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedeaux

Dabbler
Hey everyone, I have done a quick search of the forums and google, but didn't find anything so I thought I would try here.

I was attempting to add the user 'media' to my setup after installing several plugins and hoping to iron out some permission quirks.

To my surprise, there exists a user 'media' already -- it's a built-in/system user:

user ID 8675309, group ID 8675309, Full Name: Media User....

Is this a standard built-in user? If not, how can I remove it and it's matching group as it's greyed out in the gui.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Built in user that got added in 9.10.1-u2 I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

dedeaux

Dabbler
Hrmmm... thanks for the input. I will look at another angle for permissions on the media group and id 816 that's used by several plugins.

dedeaux

Dabbler
What approach did you take? I'm in the same boat as you.
Sorry, late to reply as our internet here on the Red Island is really bad right now.

This issue fell in priority after I have discovered multiple other problems with the plugins I use -- Plex(pass), SabNZBd, and Sonarr. I know that some of the issues are net/inet related, but others are not. Strange as this setup was working beautifully for over a year and then suddenly tanked. Plex is often crashing with signal 11, Sonarr refuses to update itself suddenly, but SabNZBd seems fine.

So, I'll be waiting for a time when I can a) have the internet working reliably again, and b) dedicate myself uninterrupted to reinstalling plugins. Right now those two requirements never get met at the same time :smile:

Phil G

Cadet
Who made the call to change the media GID from 816 to 8675309 without changing the plugins that use the 816 GID for write access to shares that 816 owns. I think the easiest way to fix this is to modify the built in use with ssh. 'chpass media'. Change the GID back to 816 and the plugins should work.

jp83

Dabbler
Curious about this as well. I started using the 8675309 one before, but I don't think this carried over when I tried migrating to Corral, which if it didn't already I created a new "media" user as 1000. Now reverting back, I ended up creating a 'newmedia' user with matching 1000 id, because I couldn't reuse the name. Not sure if it'd be safe to remove the system one and rename or how to clean it up.

zoomzoom

Guru
Someone at iXsystems is clearly a Tommy Tutone fan lol =] Great song

@jp83 If you haven't already, you should migrate back to 9.10 from Corral due to Corral's cessation.

jp83

Dabbler
Yes, I have migrated back and that's why I came up with a 'newmedia' user name with matching 1000 id. Not sure what I'd break trying to remove the system media account to move/rename.

rjgould

Dabbler
Hey everyone, I have done a quick search of the forums and google, but didn't find anything so I thought I would try here.

I was attempting to add the user 'media' to my setup after installing several plugins and hoping to iron out some permission quirks.

To my surprise, there exists a user 'media' already -- it's a built-in/system user:

user ID 8675309, group ID 8675309, Full Name: Media User....

Is this a standard built-in user? If not, how can I remove it and it's matching group as it's greyed out in the gui.
Just came across this same issue, did anyone get an answer?

I just did a clean install of FreeNAS 11 (finally decided to put Corral out to pasture) and now I'm re-building some of the jails I used to use under FreeNAS 9 this is really starting to muck things about :(

dedeaux

Dabbler
I eventually gave up on this issue. I moved to Linux with zfs support and docker containers replacing my jails/plugins. Permission issues disappeared and it has been smooth sailing since.

mow4cash

Contributor
I eventually gave up on this issue. I moved to Linux with zfs support and docker containers replacing my jails/plugins. Permission issues disappeared and it has been smooth sailing since.
How does the setup compare to Corral? What distro did you use and is there a container manager?

dedeaux

Dabbler
How does the setup compare to Corral? What distro did you use and is there a container manager?
I used Ubuntu server 16.04 and Portainer docker manager. My zfs pool was easily brought into the setup once I installed zfs for Linux. I setup docker to use zfs too, using instructions widely available on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.