How do i give permission to cifs share

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawkus

Explorer
I cant seem ti find the answer that solves my problem so forgive me if i am asking a very common question. My server was working great until recently. Now when i connect from windows i keep getting the following error if i try and delete files. I understand its a permissions problem but i have been burned bad in the past screwing with permissions and i am hoping this is an easy fix and someone can point me in the right direction. Any time i try and delete a file i get the following error.

file access denied
You need permission to perform this action
You require permission from Unix User\media to make changes to this file

How can i determine what user windows in connecting to freenas with?
how do i give that user(cifs share) permissions to modify files like i use to

this is a very basic home media server, security isnt much of a concern.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The account that is used is the one you are logged in with or it's the one that you forced by using the cli or gui. sounds like you need to mount the share as root then modify the permissions to give your windows user write access.

rawkus

Explorer
So it's probably more likely I messed up the permissions of my Windows user than messing up the permissions of each file? How would I mount the share as root? Would I just be creating a new cifs share? Currently my cifs share is set to use guest account nobody. So should I try and use the cli to modify the permissions of that user? If that's the case I'm not really sure how to do that through the cli.

I have been reading through this post
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ome-read-only-to-windows-clients.34837/page-2

which appears to be the same problem I am having, although the problem was probably due to something I did when trying to solve a problem with a sabnzbd install.

The final two posts of the thread I listed above offer two solutions 1) creating a user and 2) modifying auxiliary parameters. what information do I need to gather to determine if either of these fixes would work for me? I have totally tanked a freenas set up before messing with permissions and really don't want to do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Set your guest account to be media and it will work.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

rawkus

Explorer
Thanks a lot for the help, switching user to media fixed the problem. Not sure how I screwed up the permissions for the user nobody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No problem, I suspect you will run into way more permissions problems so it might be worth while to actually learn how they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.