How do I delete stuff from my NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

watha

Dabbler
I built my own Freenas box and it's nearly full. I'm installing the files onto an external hard drive for archival use, and I want to wipe the files on the NAS. But after ordering it to delete files--I do this in Windows Explorer--the data usage indicator says the NAS remains nearly full. I've backed everything onto the external drive. I just want to erase what I've got on the NAS and start refilling it. Is this happening because it's a RAID 0? Or what other reason could it be? I need all the help I can get! Thanks!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
if you have the recycle bin enabled on the cifs share you need to manually delete the /mnt/path/.recycle directory

or

if you have EVERYTHING backed up and you really want to start from scratch, just use the GUI to remove your volume and wipe all data on it

also, RAID0? WHY?

watha

Dabbler
Oops....I meant RAID 1.

Anyway, I saw the .recycle directory. So I just delete that? What happens to all the other files?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
.recycle contains all the files you 'deleted' from the share

nothing happens to all the other files. .recycle will go away and you reclaim space

watha

Dabbler
Yep...that seemed to work. But now it doesn't matter. Believe it or not, my RAID setup no longer works. When booting, the computer said it was in "critical" condition and one of the two drives must be replaced. I have no idea how to tell which one. Any ideas? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.