Strange disk usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

nattan

Explorer
Hello all,

I have a ssd set up on my nas to hold my jails/torrents/downloads/extracted files and then move the files I want to keep to my raid array. but recently I have been getting a lot of failed to write errors, pulled up my drive showed 100kb free space but I hadn't filled it up with files myself, ended up "loosing" around 100GB in storage for a period of time and then it suddenly came back all at once. As far as I know I had nothing to delete that was around 100Gb of data and I am not sure what caused this issue. Any ideas / solutions to keep this from happening again?

upload_2016-1-21_22-13-11.png

upload_2016-1-21_22-17-24.png

some other pics of the jails on the ssd:
upload_2016-1-21_22-19-7.png

upload_2016-1-21_22-19-42.png

all the jail reportings show an expanded graph like so:
upload_2016-1-21_22-20-30.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Do you have snapshots for that dataset and do they have a retention policy? Maybe the snapshot got deleted.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That's my thought too---a too aggressive snapshotting policy.

nattan

Explorer
I currently have no periodic snapshots running but I do have some snapshots saved.
upload_2016-1-22_10-38-0.png

The pic looks a bit weird because it appears that I have jails on 3 drives ( i had jails on each drive at one point but decided that the SSD was the best performance for the use case, without slowing down the raidz2)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
well I can't explain it. It must be something about the quantity of torrents and how it puts things in a buffer/queue or something, I have no idea. I don't do torrents.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
whatever trim does, and does not, purge, would not be reported as "free space" to a high level filesystem. Trim should have no impact on any disk usage reporting.

nattan

Explorer
Soo I think I am starting to notice how/why the data is collecting, but I still do not have a solution of how to "clean" it before it causes write errors.

Theory:
I have noticed I my ssd will dismount and remount from the NAS ( causing issues at times, usually happens when I use FTP to delete a ton of files at once (no idea why)) , but when it remounts I loose all the data that was contained in the torrent directory eg: /mnt/SSD/Jails/Deluge/Downloads and retain all the data that was moved after completion in /mnt/SSD/Jails/Deluge/mnt ( mounts to same drive but at /mnt/SSD/Downloads so it is easier to browse to users ). The reason I think data is accumulating is because I keep around 30GB of files in the /mnt/SSD/Jails/Deluge/Downloads area as permanent files ( files that will always be available to be shared and not moved when "completed"). These files also disappear when the drive un-mounts and remounts. I can search with a FTP client and the files are not listed in the drive directory. but it would easily account for the massive gain in files.

Is there anyway to maybe rescan the SSD block by block and map it? or something similar to refresh what is actually listed on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.