How can you view freenas logs through windows explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSGoFast

Cadet
What I want to do be able to do is browse and view FreeNAS logs through windows explorer but I don't know if there is a supported/best way to do this. For example if I setup a PLEX jail I can view the PLEX logs through windows file explorer as opposed to having to use CLI. I'm new to FreeBSD so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or even to another thread. I have not been able to find any information on this topic.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
What I want to do be able to do is browse and view FreeNAS logs through windows explorer but I don't know if there is a supported/best way to do this. For example if I setup a PLEX jail I can view the PLEX logs through windows file explorer as opposed to having to use CLI. I'm new to FreeBSD so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or even to another thread. I have not been able to find any information on this topic.
Download and install winscp. Enable SSH on your FreeNAS server. Then use winscp to download the log file and look at it in your preferred text editor.

JSGoFast

Cadet
Thanks that will at least get me by for now and make it a heck of a lot easier to get used to the way the file system is laid out. Up until now I have been doing everything through CLI which is very slow when your learning how everything is structured. I only wish I knew about that program sooner.

For samba access logs I setup a cron job to move them to a network share. I will have to dig up my notes on what I did but every time I would reboot I had to use CLI to change configuration files to get it working again. I still am looking for a more permanent way to do this but will post back after I get my notes together of how I was approaching it.

Glorious1

Guru
Would it be possible to just set up a share of the /var/log directory, and open that in Windows?

Sakuru

Guru
I'd be a bit worried about getting click-happy in the webgui and ending up setting ACLs on log files.
Share it as read-only

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
1. You shouldn't be sharing out the root of your pool. Specifically you shouldn't be touching files in your jail from your cifs share. You will break your jails one of these days.

2. I don't think you can share a path outside your pool. So /var/log isn't a valid path. I'm not sure about this but it's a bad idea to share this because resolving symlinks could get complicated.

You best solution is to view the logs from the gui in the footer. Or configure a cron job in the webui so it survives reboots to copy the files to a share. Or use the scp solution listed above.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Status
Not open for further replies.