How can I make zfs raid 10 in FreeNAS 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stassik

Cadet
After my research, I realized that the most safety and speedy form of zfs raid is the raid 10 scheme.

How can I make zfs raid 10 in FreeNAS 8?

I've done In freenas 7:
Disks|ZFS|Pools|Virtual device and doing 3 vdev (zfs mirror)
for those doing:
Disks|ZFS|Pools|Management|Add and doin zfs pool from 3 vdev (stripe of 3 mirrors (raid10))

Another WebGUI in the FreeNAS 8 will not let me do it :confused:

Durkatlon

Patron
This is not possible from the GUI right now (8.0.1-B4). But you can do it through the command line. I assume you have 6 disks based on your description, in 3 mirrors that are striped. SSH into the box and do the following:

Code:
# zpool create tank mirror device0 device1
# zpool add tank mirror device2 device3
# zpool add tank mirror device4 device5
# zpool status

The last command should show you that you have 3 mirrors in the "tank" pool. Now export the pool from the command line:
Code:
# zpool export tank

and then import it through the GUI by selecting

Storage>Volumes>Auto Import Volume

and picking the pool "tank" from the dialog box that comes up.

Hope this helps.

Stoerte

Cadet
assume the above example with 6 disks, 3 mirrors, striped.

.... is it possible to change one "disk-pair" (for example device0 and device1) with greater disks? Assume device0 and device1 are 1TB disks and you will change them with 3TB disks?

Cheers

Durkatlon

Patron
assume the above example with 6 disks, 3 mirrors, striped.

.... is it possible to change one "disk-pair" (for example device0 and device1) with greater disks? Assume device0 and device1 are 1TB disks and you will change them with 3TB disks?

Cheers
There are a few threads on this. Apparently this should in principle be possible in ZFS by replacing the disks in the disk-pair one at a time and allowing the array to rebuild after each replacement.

Then you can use a property called autoexpand to export and re-import the array with the new bigger size.

However, apparently this property is not supported in the version of ZFS that is currently in use in FreeNAS. FreeNAS 8.0.1-B4 uses storage pool version 15, and the property is supported from version 17 onward as I understand it.

Durkatlon

Patron

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Have you actually tried this? I did and it doesn't work. I created a mirror volume with 2x4GB disks and then created another one with 2 more 4GB disks (this was in VMWare hence the tiny disks). The resulting volume shows up as being 4GB in size, not 8GB as you would expect. This is both when looking at it from the GUI as well as when you use "df" in the shell.

Yes, I did. And it does work.
However you're not right about your statement about 8GB of resulting size. FreeNas by default takes 2gb of every disk for swap, so you end up in 2GB of available space mirroring 2 HDDS of 4GB each, and 4GB of available space with your raid10

Durkatlon

Patron
Yes, I did. And it does work.
However you're not right about your statement about 8GB of resulting size. FreeNas by default takes 2gb of every disk for swap, so you end up in 2GB of available space mirroring 2 HDDS of 4GB each, and 4GB of available space with your raid10
Hah hah, that explains it perfectly. My unfortunately picking of 4GB for the disk sizes caused the math to work out exactly right to cause this confusing result. OK, that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.