Host name not found.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easygoer

Explorer
If its grabbing an IP from dhcp, you won't see an interface configured. Just manually configure one. Or do it from the console menu...
If I configure it manually from the console, its fine till I reboot the system, then its gone & I have to configure it manually again.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If I configure it manually from the console, its fine till I reboot the system, then its gone & I have to configure it manually again.
And you think doing it from the GUI is going to somehow be better?

You should make a backup of your config and do a fresh install.

solarisguy

Guru
@Easygoer, I have a similar experience. No that bad as yours though. My system works 60% of the time, after in Network =>> Global Configuration I have enabled netwait feature, I have entered my DHCP server IP address in Netwait IP list.

Luckily my unattended reboots are very rare...

Last edited:

Easygoer

Explorer
@Easygoer, I have a similar experience. No that bad as your though. My system works 60% of the time, after in Network =>> Global Configuration I have enabled netwait feature, I have entered my DHCP server IP address in Netwait IP list.

Luckily my unattended reboots are very rare...

Thank you for your post. I will attempt to follow ur steps with global config. Although I might have to do a fresh install.
I did the reboot earlier just to see if the NAS box would acquire an IP address. It's important for this to happen as I have CrashPlan backing up my NAS drive overnight. If CrashPlan does not see the drive(s) mounted then no backup happens. I store audio and video files on it.
So that becomes rather important.

Easygoer

Explorer
Do you think if I do a fresh install & run the wizard, then would there be any clash if I imported my saved config file ?

solarisguy

Guru
Don't run the wizard.
Exactly! If you have a saved configuration, do not use the wizard.

Reinstallation is fine, but your glitch with networking does not appear to be anything that can be fixed by installing everything anew.

Once you have everything working, you do not need to reboot for months or years (if you do not install updates). Unless I am missing something...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's possible that your boot drive has become corrupted in some way. An easy way to determine this would be to install to a fresh one and see if your NIC picks up an IP.

No, the proper way to see if your device is corrupt is a zpool scrub or a "verify install". YOu should have virtually no reason to reinstall FreeNAS anymore, except after you've verified you already have corruption.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, the proper way to see if your device is corrupt is a zpool scrub or a "verify install". YOu should have virtually no reason to reinstall FreeNAS anymore, except after you've verified you already have corruption.
Has verify install been fixed?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Has verify install been fixed?

What is/was broken with it? There are a couple of files (2 I think) that are false positives. Anything above those 2 specific files means your installation is corrupt. I don't think that invalidates it as a very useful tool to verify your installation isn't corrupt though. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What is/was broken with it? There are a couple of files (2 I think) that are false positives. Anything above those 2 specific files means your installation is corrupt. I don't think that invalidates it as a very useful tool to verify your installation isn't corrupt though. ;)
Besides those, I think I recall a dev mentioning that there were some false negatives as well - but it was a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.