Host Name Not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkdickinson

Contributor
Every few minutes, I get an error on the FreeNAS box I just set up.

Oct 27 21:46:13 freenas ntpd_initres[1852]: host name not found: 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
Oct 27 21:46:13 freenas ntpd_initres[1852]: host name not found: 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
Oct 27 22:02:15 freenas ntpd_initres[1852]: host name not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
Oct 27 22:02:15 freenas ntpd_initres[1852]: host name not found: 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
Oct 27 22:02:15 freenas ntpd_initres[1852]: host name not found: 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

I have a static IP address set up from the FreeNAS Console.

I had a timeserver set up in the IPMI settings but took that out because I thought that was the cause of the error. Didn't change.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The problem is that your "nameserver" is misconfigured. Seems like you are not getting proper DNS resolution. And/Or, your "gateway" is not configured correctly.

1) Case #1 (less likely, but has to be checked first): Gateway misconfigured. Diagnose this by dropping to the shell, and typing
Code:
ping 8.8.8.8
. If you get ping responses, the problem is not your gateway. If you don't get responses, you need to go to Network->Global Config, and set your "gateway" address to be the IP address of your router.

2) Case #2 (more likely): To verify this, drop to a shell prompt, type this:
Code:
dig www.ibm.com
. If it gives you an error, then the problem is DNS resolution. If it gives you a big output of all kinds of stuff having to do with ibm.com's IP addresses, then your DNS is working.
If your DNS is not working, then: In the Network->Global Config screen, you'll need to put a nameserver for (at least) "nameserver 1". If you don't know what this is, or what this means, then you can't hurt anything by putting Google's nameserver in there, which is 8.8.8.8

That should solve your problem. You may, or may not, have to reboot for either/both of these changes to take effect.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you searched the error messages you'd have probably found dozens of threads that had the same error message, and the same solution.

kirkdickinson

Contributor

kirkdickinson

Contributor
The problem is that your "nameserver" is misconfigured.

Thanks, my problem was both. My brain is in a fog today. I am getting bogged down in so much new stuff. IPMI has all that stuff set, and I set it in the bios, which is probably the same as IPMI, and set the IP address and Subnet mask text menu of FreeNAS.

Thanks for helping. :)

rhdd

Dabbler
I have the same errors because my FreeNAS is configured as Active Directory. The first name server entry points the FreeNAS (that is required for AD), the second to 8.8.8.8.
After startup is complete DNS works fine, but while booting it cannot resolve anything.
My resolution are static host entries for the freebsd.pool.ntp.org servers.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.