Host name not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltecBX

Patron
I just updated FreeNAS from FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412240734 to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412300101 and I keep getting this message.

freenas ntpd_initres[2821]: host name not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
freenas ntpd_initres[2821]: host name not found: 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
freenas ntpd_initres[2821]: host name not found: 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

I tried this below and it didn't work.
#service ntpd stop
#ntpdate ntp.server.name
#service ntpd start

Any way to fix this?

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
My guess is your networking setup is not correct. verify the settings under the Network-> Global tab. (gateway, nameserver)

AltecBX

Patron
That's the first thing I did. I have my gateway filled out.
What should Nameserver 1, 2, and 3 be?

I don't get why it would matter if everything was working fine until the update..?:confused:

Last edited:

gpsguy

Whatever you normally use. It might be an internal DNS server, your ISP, Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220), or something else.

What should Nameserver 1, 2, and 3 be?

jplonie

Cadet
I get the same issue with multiple installs, looks like the dhcp client isn't setting the name servers and default route like it use to.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I thank the devs for the boot rollback feature in 9.3!

George51

Contributor
I've got the same issue going on as well - never had anything configured in those boxes before but since a recent update it has become a problem.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
One question about this issue. Will the update that causes this problem be pulled and replaced when a fix is done or will it remain and be patched by an additional update?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Patches can't be pulled after being "released". The best you can hope for at this point is that an additional update will fix whatever the problem is.

diedrichg

Wizard
One question about this issue. Will the update that causes this problem be pulled and replaced when a fix is done or will it remain and be patched by an additional update?
But they will never know it is a problem unless you report it. Post your bug report URL when completed.

AltecBX

Patron
Well out of nowhere I was able to upgrade FreeNAS again. This time I updated from FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412300101 to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412301712. It stated that it fixed the ntp problem. Guess what, it didn't but I was able to use 8.8.8.8 in Nameserver 1 and it fixed the "freenas ntpd_initres[2821]: host name not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org" problem.

I have to say that Nameserver 1 was blank prior to both these updates and it worked fine.

AltecBX

Patron
Now when I click on "check for update" in FreeNas these is what I get.

rmobnr.jpg

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your problem doesn't have anything to do with NTP; it's simply that name resolution on your system is failing. How is your network interface set up? Static IP or DHCP? If it's a static IP, and you don't have a DNS server entered, this is exactly what you should expect--the surprise is that it's ever worked. If it's DHCP, then either your DHCP server (most likely your router) isn't providing valid DNS information, or your FreeNAS server isn't picking it up. FWIW, my FreeNAS box is on the most current update (20141230), gets its IP via DHCP, and is working fine in this regard.

What happens if you type "nslookup google.com" at the command prompt?

hunter

Explorer
I'm having the same problem--name resolution is failing after the update. I tried nslookup google.com at a command prompt and it just hung. My network uses the DHCP server on the router and the previous version of FreeNAS picked it up just fine with the Network-->Global Config having only the following:
hostname freenas
domain local
ipv4 Default Gateway the-LAN-ip-of-my-router

I rolled back to the 1210 version of 9.3 and its working swimmingly again.

AltecBX

Patron
@hunter, me too. Worked fine with same setup prior to update.

Your problem doesn't have anything to do with NTP; it's simply that name resolution on your system is failing. How is your network interface set up? Static IP or DHCP? If it's a static IP, and you don't have a DNS server entered, this is exactly what you should expect--the surprise is that it's ever worked. If it's DHCP, then either your DHCP server (most likely your router) isn't providing valid DNS information, or your FreeNAS server isn't picking it up. FWIW, my FreeNAS box is on the most current update (20141230), gets its IP via DHCP, and is working fine in this regard.

What happens if you type "nslookup google.com" at the command prompt?
My network uses the DHCP through the router and the previous version of FreeNAS picked it up just fine. This is what I get.

b80il4.jpg

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Looks like the devs have fixed this already. If you haven't done so roll back your update to a working boot configuration and re download the updates and you should be all set.

hunter

Explorer
Hmmm,it happened to me at about 4 pm this afternoon.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hmmm,it happened to me at about 4 pm this afternoon.

Yup and the new patch just showed up a little bit ago. Trust me, you'll know which one it is when you see it. ;)

AltecBX

Patron
Are you referring to #7335 Issue with interface configuration after 9.3 upgrade (really this time)?

I just updated from FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412301712 to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412312006. It stated that it fixed the interface configuration problem. Guess what, it did. :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.