Home IP Address Scheme Change Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverJS

Patron
Hi gents,

So, I'll be putting up a pfSense rig up soon (specs in sig). However, at other peoples' advice, I will also be changing my private IP address numbering scheme. I'm currently using a 192.168.0.xxx/24 scheme, which could very well pose a problem when I want to use a VPN, which is part of the intended use of the pfSense rig. Anyway, new scheme will be 172.18.132.xxx/24. FreeNAS-specific questions, then :

1. I have two FreeNAS boxes : the server, and another one that takes daily ZFS Replication back-ups of the full contents of the server. Is this just a matter of hooking up a display/keyboard and changing addresses? In the server's case, I'd need to do both the IPMI's IP address (in BIOS), and the in-use NIC's address (via the console once the machine boots up, as I won't be able to access the GUI anymore, I suppose). Same thing on the backups box. Also, change IP address in the Replication tasks and UPSMon tools, and obviously change gateway/nameserver1 to the pfSense box's IP (172.18.132.1). That all look good so far?

(1.1. My server actually has two [Intel] NICs on its SuperMicro board. Could I just configure the other one, unused at the moment, with the server's new address in the new scheme? I mean - it's connected to a dumb switch, so in my understanding, that approach wouldn't work, but maybe I'm wrong...?)

2. Will I need to totally re-create the Replication tasks? Or will the SSH keys and such still be good so that I can just change the IP addresses in the tasks and call it a day?

3. Jails. Right now, I've got 2 - Transmission, and MySQL for XBMC. Honestly, I don't mind deleting them and re-creating them from scratch if I have to, that would take me about 10-15 minutes, I suspect (well - maybe 30, but whatever). But, am I correct in believing that, I would just have to change, under the Configuration tab, the IPv4 network to 172.18.132.0/24, set the start and end blocks (I've got those planned in my network map), and then change the jails' individual IP addresses themselves last? I seem to remember reading horror stories about that though...

Anything you guys see I'm missing?

Thanks!

P.S. - if you guys are REALLY looking for something to do....=) You can check out my equivalent, but broader, thread on this subject in the pfSense forums :

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=93683.0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.