Hide FreeNas machine from network & remote shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonny81

Contributor
Sorry for the double topic...

Two questions:
1. FreeNas 8.2 - Is there a way I can make the actual machine not show up under "Network" in Windows (or any other platform at that)? I have all my shares hidden, but it would great if I could hide the machine icon from showing up in the Windows Network GUI.

2. Wake on Lan is working flawlessly on my system. Anyway to do a Shutdown on Lan (if there is such a thing)?

Thanks!! :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Shutdown on LAN.. sure. Log in via SSH and type shutdown -p now.

As for making the machine hide add browseable = no to the Auxiliary parameters of the CIFS Settings.

sonny81

Contributor

As for making the machine hide add browseable = no to the Auxiliary parameters of the CIFS Settings.

Very nice!! Thank you :)

For the CIFS Auxiliary parameters, would this just hide the CIFS shares or can that also hide the actual computer icon?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That hides the computer icon.

sonny81

Contributor

Would you be able to direct me to a thread on how to set up SSH for ONLY LAN (not WAN access)? So many threads and I just don't know which have been successfully resolved.

Thanks for the help!! This gets addictive :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd recommend the manual. That's how I setup my SSH for the first time when I didn't know what to do. Also SSH will be across your network unless those ports are blocked by a firewall.

sonny81

Contributor
I'd recommend the manual. That's how I setup my SSH for the first time when I didn't know what to do. Also SSH will be across your network unless those ports are blocked by a firewall.

Thanks for the info on LAN only. Blocked the port on the firewall and I can still run SSH internally...excellent!

Got SSH up and running :) Is the only way to remote shutdown done by allowing "Login as Root with password"? Seems to be the way I can do it without an "access denied" message.

Also, LAN transfer speeds are faster via SSH :) Very nice!!

JaimieV

Guru
You can disable root login, login as another user with SSH, then use 'su shutdown' with the root password. Definitely the right way.

You can also set up the SSH authorized_keys configuration file to only allow connections from specific hosts, if you still want to lock it down further. Look at the "from" keyword.

sonny81

Contributor
Have you read this guide? it allows you to configure freenas so it shutsdown the server when your workstations are not responding to a ping. combine this with WOL and you should have something interesting.

http://blog.graceabundant.com/2012/08/24/automatic-shutdownwake-up-on-freenas/

Ah man thanks so much!! I heard some whispers about this in the past, but didn't realize it had fully materialized.

Thank you as well JaimieV. That's much better than allowing root log on. Right now, I don't want to use keys as it would involve saving them on the machines. A password by memory is what I'm a little more comfortable with. These machines have no WAN access and I have overkill on LAN security so I'm just being paranoid...because its fun to be :)

Thank you all for the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.