Can FreeNAS wake up a sleeping Linux machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
Details of FreeNAS system in signature.

I have set up rsync on the FreeNAS machine and on a networked Linux machine. Some rsync tasks run at intervals during the day and another is set to run at 2am, but at that time the Linux machine is normally asleep (unless I am burning the 2am oil). Is there any way to have FreeNAS send a wake-up signal to the Linux machine? The "power on by RTC " on the Linux machine seems to work only when the machine is powered off, not when it's merely sleeping.

Z300M

Guru
You can install "wol" in a jail and configure a cronjob.
Thanks. I created the jail and installed wol. but I can't get it to wake up the sleeping Linux machine. wol gives no error message, but the Linux machine remains asleep, and after I've woken it by pressing the power button I have no networking. Would the fact that the Linux machine is using an add-in Intel NIC rather than the onboard Realtek NIC make a difference?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Quite possibly! Hook up a network cable to the onboard interface and try hitting that with wol.

Z300M

Guru
Quite possibly! Hook up a network cable to the onboard interface and try hitting that with wol.
I've enabled the onboard Realtek NIC and directed wol to that, but it doesn't wake the machine whether it is sleeping or powered down altogether. No error message, but no wakeup.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You may need to do some reading on whether or not it is supported by your gear, and if so, how to set it up. It is a finicky feature in that way...

Status
Not open for further replies.