Loading files are slow & Hard Drive is solid but no problem with writing files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VioletDragon

Patron
Howdy folks.

I have a issue with my FreeNAS Server. Up on loading files in Linux the File Browser gets stuck on Loading for a second with the Hard Drive Light on Solid on the FreeNAS machine. Have no issues with Writing files only when reading the files from the Server from a linux Client machine.

When this happens the Networked media such as Music or Movies that are playing over the network from the FreeNAS machine pauses then starts again.

Also happens when attempting to Copy Files from a Linux Client Machine.

Doesnt happen in Windows 7 or 10. I know the Disks are not dying.
Only seems to happening on Linux Clients.
Upon loading files on my Android Phone or Tablet dont have this problem.
Doesnt happen in Kodi on the Raspberry Pi 3.

I have tried other Linux Distros such as Mate also does the same. I am connecting via SMB.

Hardware in the FreeNAS Server

Z77-DS3H
Core i3 3225
8GB DDR3 in Dual Channel Mode
3x Seagate 3TB NAS Disks in RAIDZ1.
Using onboard Series 7 SATA
HP NC360T Dual Port card in Round-Robin connected to a HP ProCurve 2510G Switch

Does anyone know how to find what the problem is or causing this problem? Any logs i can look at in FreeNAS?

Thank you.

Jack.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Have no issues with Writing files only when reading the files from the Server from a linux Client machine.
Very odd for sure.

I have no idea what could be causing this but think I'll take a stab in the dark to assist.

You forgot to list which version of FreeNAS you are running so please list this.

1) If you are running any Plugins / Jails, disable them one at a time to see if these are impacting the issue until all have been disabled.
2) Please provide a screen shot of the GUI Reporting -> Memory (looking specifically for Swap Ulitlization).
3) Are you using Allow Guest Access or do you need authentication?
4) Have you tried a different SMB version?

VioletDragon

Patron
Hey sorry I am using latest version of FreeNAS.

Right here is something interesting. I have monitored the Memory Usage on the FreeNAS Server up on copying huge data Transfers or small data files. The interesting thing i have came across is that the Memory Usage is at full 16GB when transferring files in Linux even the SWAP. But i do not see this activity in Windows when copying huge data transfers. Im using SMB Version 3 in Linux.

I know its not a issue with my hardware or the way ive set it up. I believe that the issue here is related to Linux itself whether its a Driver issue with Intel E1000e Driver or maybe SMB but then again when using SFTP its still slow. I have also built my own Kernel for Ubuntu but still same problems.

Here are some Screenshots.

Thank you.

Jack.

25791225_1641476549232252_8983188609970480767_o.jpg
Screenshot from 2017-12-27 15-01-17.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-27 15-01-37.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-27 15-07-59.png

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
So what I see if your SWAP fine is minimal, 20.6MB which is nothing really. It would be nice to see it at zero like mine is but sometimes even mine will bump up slightly.

The RAM being fully used in FreeNAS is okay. This is the way BSD operates, it may not be using all the RAM but it doesn't release it often. If it needs RAM then it will take it. If it runs out of RAM then you got the SWAP space.

I'd recommend that you try SMB2 protocol to see what happens.

Cheers,
-Mark

VioletDragon

Patron
So what I see if your SWAP fine is minimal, 20.6MB which is nothing really. It would be nice to see it at zero like mine is but sometimes even mine will bump up slightly.

The RAM being fully used in FreeNAS is okay. This is the way BSD operates, it may not be using all the RAM but it doesn't release it often. If it needs RAM then it will take it. If it runs out of RAM then you got the SWAP space.

I'd recommend that you try SMB2 protocol to see what happens.

Cheers,
-Mark

In FreeNAS? Ive noticed that the latest version of FreeNAS no longer has a option to change SMB Versions unless its in a different location?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I believe you have to manually change the file /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf and it's in the user guide as well. I did prefer the drop down list but it's gone as you say.

VioletDragon

Patron
I believe you have to manually change the file /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf and it's in the user guide as well. I did prefer the drop down list but it's gone as you say.

How exactly can i modofy this file?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'd enter the shell and use ee to modify the conf file. The user guide also provides links to how smb4.conf can be modified, I did not follow any of the links myself but they were there. Also since this is FreeBSD, any FreeBSD manual should help out.

VioletDragon

Patron
I'd enter the shell and use ee to modify the conf file. The user guide also provides links to how smb4.conf can be modified, I did not follow any of the links myself but they were there. Also since this is FreeBSD, any FreeBSD manual should help out.

Tried that. Doesnt make much difference im beginning to think the problem here is due to Linux not the Server tbh.

joeschmuck

Old Man
im beginning to think the problem here is due to Linux not the Server
Quite possible but it sure would be nice to understand why any version of Linux is giving you that issue.

VioletDragon

Patron
Quite possible but it sure would be nice to understand why any version of Linux is giving you that issue.

Im going to try a Link Only from the FreeNAS Server directly to my Desktop and see what the outcome is then because its a very strange one.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Make sure you try other protocols too.

VioletDragon

Patron

I have tried SFTP but still same deal although i dont have no stuttering with that but the speeds are still bad.

VioletDragon

Patron

Update.

Ive kinda improved the problem. I changed to SMB Version 3 on the FreeNAS end and forced SMB3 in Linux via smb.comf its improved it a lot. I have noticed at the time of the pausing of music its caused by files on the Server being loaded in Linux.

c32767a

Patron
Update.

Ive kinda improved the problem. I changed to SMB Version 3 on the FreeNAS end and forced SMB3 in Linux via smb.comf its improved it a lot. I have noticed at the time of the pausing of music its caused by files on the Server being loaded in Linux.

My first question would be have you ever been able to get decent linux client -> NAS throughput? What does an iperf test show for each direction? It might be as simple as a NIC driver, particularly since you mention it happens with both SFTP and SMB. That would seem on the surface to rule out a protocol level issue.

VioletDragon

Patron
Hi thanks for your reply. I have never had decent throughput on a Linux Client machine even when using Link Only with 2 linux machines connected it still sucks.

How exactly can i run iperf? I believe iperf has to be running on both ends?

I have tried a different driver from Intel themselves still have slow speeds. Even with the onboard Realtek Drivers it is still the same. But in windows it is a very different story. Strange.

Thanks.

Jack.

c32767a

Patron
iperf is a testing tool typically used to test throughput on internet links, but it also works decently well for testing LAN links and is already installed on FreeNAS. It's probably installed on your linux distro as well.

https://iperf.fr/iperf-doc.php#tuningtcp

Ideally, you'd test in both directions (switch the -s and -c flags on each end) and see close to 1Gb/s for a 1000BaseT network in both directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.