Hi New User. Stability Question

tnuser9999

Dabbler
I am looking to use TrueNAS core for a home server that houses important documents I can't afford to lose and I would be backing that up to another server offsite using zfs replication. I like the nice gui and freebsd plays nice with the zfs license. Also now, it uses openzfs. I used Ubuntu LTS w/ ZFS previously.

My question is, how conversative is TrueNAS core when updating? For instance I noticed the current release is using what I consider a fairly new version of ZFS 2.1.11-1. This version appears to be only have been released in the past few months and it itself had a fix in for a data corruption bug. For instance currently the newest ubuntu lts uses ZFS version 2.1.5 a year old.

What is there patch cadence? Do they wait some time before making newly versions of ZFS available? Should I consider the 13.05u4 version or would that be a mistake? Do they continue to maintain 13.05u4 as well as u5?

What would the community suggest to not expose critical data to the chance of corruption bugs? I would prefer the version installed has been in the wild for sometime.

Thanks for the advice!

zfs-2.1.11

Supported Platforms​

• Linux: compatible with 3.10 - 6.2 kernels
  • FreeBSD: compatible with releases starting from 12.2-RELEASE

Changes​

This is a small release containing a fix for a possible data corruption bug (see #14753)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
My question is, how conversative is TrueNAS core when updating?

TrueNAS CORE is the foundation for TrueNAS Enterprise, the platform on which iXsystems sells TrueNAS hardware systems to enterprise customers who generally would not tolerate loss of their data due to "amateur hour" errors.

You can see the recommended releases in the chart at

which may help you judge paranoia levels to use.

tnuser9999

Dabbler
Thanks that is helpful. It appears the community and enterprise share the same versions and there is one version listed as conservative.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks that is helpful. It appears the community and enterprise share the same versions and there is one version listed as conservative.

TrueNAS CORE and TrueNAS Enterprise share a codebase but the enterprise features are only enabled in Enterprise, as they are specifically designed for the iXsystems hardware designed to run TrueNAS Enterprise. You will notice that they do not list a CORE version for "mission critical" workloads (because CORE lacks the high availability hardware features), and while the same versions currently appear for "conservative", "general", etc., for both Enterprise and CORE, this is not always the case.

Whattteva

Wizard
What is there patch cadence? Do they wait some time before making newly versions of ZFS available? Should I consider the 13.05u4 version or would that be a mistake? Do they continue to maintain 13.05u4 as well as u5?
This might help. It has the lifecycle and explains the differences between the different trees.