Secondary FreeNas for backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexg

Contributor
I'm currently running ZFS replication from RAIDZ1 pool to a backup pool that consists of a single drive on the same primary server. I'm thinking of moving the backup drive (pool) into a second server. I don't have a budget for brand new build and ECC memory.

My choices are:
  • Keep backup pool in same server that has 12gb of ECC memory and plenty of processing power.
  • Use old computer that has 6GB of non-ECC memory and run second instance of FreeNas with ZFS on single drive. If corruption occurs on replication pool, it will be detected and I can always rebuild it using primary server that uses ECC memory.
  • Setup old computer as Linux machine and rsync

Yatti420

Wizard
Just build a second pool (hopefully) with redundancy..

panz

Guru
I'm currently running ZFS replication from RAIDZ1 pool to a backup pool that consists of a single drive on the same primary server. I'm thinking of moving the backup drive (pool) into a second server. I don't have a budget for brand new build and ECC memory.

My choices are:
  • Keep backup pool in same server that has 12gb of ECC memory and plenty of processing power.
  • Use old computer that has 6GB of non-ECC memory and run second instance of FreeNas with ZFS on single drive. If corruption occurs on replication pool, it will be detected and I can always rebuild it using primary server that uses ECC memory.
  • Setup old computer as Linux machine and rsync

I had the same problem. I opted to have 1 server with at least 2 redundant pools (RAIDZ2): it's better doing backups with a reliable machine instead of putting together a crap secondary computer (without ECC, etc.) that will destroy your data :)

alexg

Contributor
Panz, I was thinking the same. Thanks. I can use the crappy secondary computer to setup Linux and do another rsync to it

alexg

Contributor
Actually, it probably doesn't really matter if the old machine is Linux or FreeBsd or even FreeNas. Just thinking out loud, if I set it up as FreeNas I could use ZFS replication and preserve all user/groups and I could use it as test machine for new version of FreeNas.

Status
Not open for further replies.