TrueNAS Core - Stability

billh

Cadet
Hello everyone! I have used OpenZFS on Ubuntu LTS for years now for my NAS however not long ago bugs such as 1906476 where some code has caused some users data loss silently is distrurbing for a filesystem. Granted, this was not a LTS version, a filesystem should be something rock solid that you can count on.

I have desired in the past to use TrueNAS with ZFS but have always avoided it due to my unfamilarity with FreeBSD. I am comfortable with Linux, BSD intimdates me. It may be time to give it a go. I like that OpenZFS is officially supported. I am looking for a conservative approach to updates, especially for my NAS.

What is the TrueNAS approach to updates? Do they use only long tested versions of software such as OpenZFS or try to be bleeding edge?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
comfortable with Linux, BSD intimdates me.

This is, quite frankly, silly. TrueNAS is an appliance OS. It does not require you to have any familiarity with the underlying operating system, and if you happen to have some Linux shell experience, that is probably more than sufficient to carry the day.

What is the TrueNAS approach to updates? Do they use only long tested versions of software such as OpenZFS or try to be bleeding edge?

TrueNAS is the enterprise-grade NAS operating system used by iXsystems on its five and six figure commercial and enterprise NAS products.

The product obviously cannot guarantee perfection, but the developers have a very strong testing regime and then also make the OS available to you, as TrueNAS CORE, because you are part of the beta testing. The developers are active in the development of ZFS and generally have very good insights into the impact of code changes on the system. It is definitely NOT a case of goober updates Linux system to some halfass version of the latest bleeding edge untested crap. That still doesn't mean it's always perfect, but data corruption or loss in particular is just not a common thing. ZFS is, however, also insanely more complicated than any other filesystem you're likely to be using.

The forum here will also provide strong guidance towards selecting proper hardware, because you cannot just pick random hardware and expect it to be suitable for ZFS. If you imagine that you are going to set up TrueNAS on your old laptop with an external USB disk for data storage, well, that ain't going to cut it. However, if you follow the hardware guides, and solicit feedback here in the forums, there's a very strong chance of success. ZFS is a hell of a learning curve. You may have some familiarity with it, but please do not make the mistake of failing to participate in the community.

billh

Cadet
Thanks jgreco, I may have to think about using Core due to beta testing however good information. I appreciate the advice, I am familar with ZFS hardware requirements and the operation.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks jgreco, I may have to think about using Core due to beta testing however good information.

You don't really have much of a choice, unless you want to buy TrueNAS Enterprise on a supported platform for five figures. You are not going to find a better choice for ZFS as a home user. There's a chart around somewhere that offers suggested releases to run based on the criticality of your mission. @WN1X found it for me, thanks. Please see

Last edited:

WN1X

Explorer

jgreco

Resident Grinch
@WN1X FOR THE WIN!

I have backported your link into my earlier message for better message flow, but didn't want anyone to think I had ripped you off. ;-)