Hi, I'm trying to build a home NAS from an old office PC, help and advice appreciated!

Vulpen

Cadet
Hello everyone!
I'm completely new to NAS building (and this forum, lol). I'm rather tech savvy, but I just never delved into NAS'es before.

I have an old office PC - Acer Aspire X3990 (https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/product-support/Aspire_X3990)
CPU: Intel Core i5 (2nd Gen) 2320 with integrated graphics
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333 MT/s single stick (will upgrade to 2x4 with 1600 MT/s if the Mobo/BIOS supports it)
Motherboard: Intel H61 Chipset, Intel LGA1155 Socket (Sandy Bridge), 2 SATA ports
PSU: 250W 80+ Bronze

My use case for this NAS would be to install Nextcloud on it and use it for personal cloud storage and synchronizing of Calendars, Notes, Contacts, etc. So it won't require a lot of horsepower, I won't stream, encode or decode 4k video or host VM's on it.

Now here are the troubles with this build, and my "proposed" ways of solving them, let me know if something won't work or is stupid.

1. There are only 2 SATA ports.
I want to RAID two 1TB hard drives, which will take up both ports, leaving nothing for the OS.

-My first solution includes getting a PCIe x4 to m.2 NVME adapter and plugging it into the 16x port. According to my previous experience trying to install a Linux on such a drive, the adapter is not visible as a bootable drive during boot time. This means that the Bootloader has to be installed in a bootable place instead. It could be on the RAID drives, but that will require complex partitioning and issues with the RAID setup, and I don't want to open that can of worms. It could also live on a USB thumb drive that is permanently plugged into one of the USB ports at the back. I'm hoping it won't die too quickly, since it will only be read from at boot time, but even if it does, it's easily replaceable.

-The second solution would be to partition the two RAID HDD's and have an OS partition, but as I mentioned, I don't want to go down that rabbit hole. I heard it's a pain to do and requires changing the install script for the NAS OS, which I'm not quite savvy enough to do on my own. Let me know if I'm wrong.

2. The CPU is not very energy efficient.
According to this page (https://www.cpu-list.com/lga1155-cpu-list/eng/) the most energy-efficient CPU for this socket is the "Xeon E3-1220L v2". I have ordered one online (they are dirt cheap, $8 or so). The trouble is that it doesn't have an integrated GPU.

-Solution one would be to install the TrueNAS OS using the current APU with the integrated GPU, then once everything is set up, disable the boot time errors (so it won't get stuck beeping, cuz there is no video output) and switch the CPUs.

-Solution two would be to install a simple video output card on the PCIe x1 slot (not even sure if such things exist tbh.), or the x16 slot (not a great option, because it's going to be populated by the NVME adapter from issue 1.) and use that, if TrueNAS can't run without a video output for some reason?

Those are the two main issues, but there are also some "smaller" ones:
-The two HDDs I use are from different manufacturers and are somewhat old. I'm not sure if that's going to be an issue or not. I could get new ones from the same batch if it's needed, but I'd rather keep this project low-budget if possible.
-I have no idea what all the hardware/software RAID 0, 1, 10 and whatnot mean and which I should use. Some help there would be greatly appreciated! I think this Mobo supports hardware RAID.
-I'm not sure if this motherboard even supports the Xeon E3-1220L v2 CPU. I've searched forums, there seem to be no BIOS updates for it, but people say there is a good chance it will work. I guess I have to wait and see. If it doesn't, how hard would it be to make a BIOS hack and add support for it (or pay someone to do it?)
-The RAM is obviously not ECC, and the mobo doesn't support ECC, but I don't think this will be a problem. Still, I'm curious, is it even possible to add ECC support via a BIOS hack?

I'll probably have a bunch more questions once I get past all the hardware stuff and begin installing the TrueNAS, since as I mentioned, I have no experience with NAS'es whatsoever. So stay tuned :D
Thanks for reading my wall of text and thank you even more if you're willing to help. Any help or info is highly appreciated! <3

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
1. There are only 2 SATA ports.
I want to RAID two 1TB hard drives, which will take up both ports, leaving nothing for the OS.
Do you have a USB port?

Connect an external/USB SSD drive (like Samsung T7) and make that your boot media.

The warnings given by the system/documentation about not using USB refers to USB stick/thumb drives, which have poor quality flash memory/controllers, but that doesn't apply to SSDs connected over USB (for the boot pool).

2. The CPU is not very energy efficient.
According to this page (https://www.cpu-list.com/lga1155-cpu-list/eng/) the most energy-efficient CPU for this socket is the "Xeon E3-1220L v2". I have ordered one online (they are dirt cheap, $8 or so). The trouble is that it doesn't have an integrated GPU.

-Solution one would be to install the TrueNAS OS using the current APU with the integrated GPU, then once everything is set up, disable the boot time errors (so it won't get stuck beeping, cuz there is no video output) and switch the CPUs.
That's fine... or even easier, install the boot drive in another system with the needed video resources and transfer the boot drive you made to the desired system with no video card. (the boot media isn't customized for the system hardware it's installed on, so it can be transferred without issue after the install)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I have no idea what all the hardware/software RAID 0, 1, 10 and whatnot mean and which I should use. Some help there would be greatly appreciated! I think this Mobo supports hardware RAID.
NO Hardware RAID... we're using ZFS which absolutely should not be mixed with hardware RAID (not RAID controllers... set your Mobo controller to AHCI mode it it has that) https://www.truenas.com/community/t...s-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.81931/

-The two HDDs I use are from different manufacturers and are somewhat old. I'm not sure if that's going to be an issue or not.
Probably fine... ZFS will perform in accordance with the slowest member in a VDEV, so you may lose something there, but otherwise, no matter.

I'm not sure if this motherboard even supports the Xeon E3-1220L v2 CPU. I've searched forums, there seem to be no BIOS updates for it, but people say there is a good chance it will work. I guess I have to wait and see. If it doesn't, how hard would it be to make a BIOS hack and add support for it (or pay someone to do it?)
Best of luck.

The RAM is obviously not ECC, and the mobo doesn't support ECC, but I don't think this will be a problem. Still, I'm curious, is it even possible to add ECC support via a BIOS hack?
Doubtful.

Consider why you are using ZFS... if you care enough about the data you're putting on it, you'll probably care enough to use ECC (and buy the right hardware to match with that... what would you pay to get your data back if it were lost?)

Arwen

MVP
Be aware that the minimum RAM is 8GBytes, and that 16GBytes can improve performance.

Both TrueNAS SCALE and Core are written for the Enterprise Data Center market. As was ZFS. Throwing old hardware at TrueNAS does not mean that it will be reliable and make your data safe.

I am not trying to stop you, but set expectations of using older, desktop PC, (aka non-server), hardware for a server role.

Vulpen

Cadet
Do you have a USB port?

Connect an external/USB SSD drive (like Samsung T7) and make that your boot media.

The warnings given by the system/documentation about not using USB refers to USB stick/thumb drives, which have poor quality flash memory/controllers, but that doesn't apply to SSDs connected over USB (for the boot pool).

That's fine... or even easier, install the boot drive in another system with the needed video resources and transfer the boot drive you made to the desired system with no video card. (the boot media isn't customized for the system hardware it's installed on, so it can be transferred without issue after the install)
There are plenty of USB ports (10 to be exact), but they are all USB2, and I'm afraid it would be a bottleneck in some way. I'm not sure how Read/Write intensive TrueNAS is, or if it just copies everything into ram and goes from there? If you say USB is gonna be fine and not gonna be slow as molasses, then I'd try it.
Otherwise, I'd stick with the bootloader-on-a-usb-stick tried and true solution xD
I don't expect to reboot it often enough so it should be fine I hope.

I hadn't considered the option to install on another machine, that's really useful advice, thank you! <3

NO Hardware RAID... we're using ZFS which absolutely should not be mixed with hardware RAID (not RAID controllers... set your Mobo controller to AHCI mode it it has that) https://www.truenas.com/community/t...s-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.81931/

Probably fine... ZFS will perform in accordance with the slowest member in a VDEV, so you may lose something there, but otherwise, no matter.

Best of luck.

Doubtful.

Consider why you are using ZFS... if you care enough about the data you're putting on it, you'll probably care enough to use ECC (and buy the right hardware to match with that... what would you pay to get your data back if it were lost?)
I see. ZFS sure sounds like a handy thing to have xD
About the ECC ram, it was just a hypothetical, I'm not intending to get such even if it were possible to frankenstein it into this old machine.

Be aware that the minimum RAM is 8GBytes, and that 16GBytes can improve performance.

Both TrueNAS SCALE and Core are written for the Enterprise Data Center market. As was ZFS. Throwing old hardware at TrueNAS does not mean that it will be reliable and make your data safe.

I am not trying to stop you, but set expectations of using older, desktop PC, (aka non-server), hardware for a server role.
Yes, that's a concern, because this machine (at least if you're going by its manual) only has 2 ram slots and only supports 1GB, 2GB and 4GB sticks. So that caps out at 8GB. I haven't tried to put a bigger stick in to see what happens, I might try it out lol. What's the worst that could happen...? :D

I know that the hardware I have is a bit on the old side, and my expectations for this project are not exactly high, I just want to tinker a bit and dip my feet into the NAS space on a budget. If I end up with a working system, all the better!
However, would my use case be better served by another OS like Open Media Vault? It seems to have lower system requirements.

sretalla