Hi from the outskirts of Toronto!

GaryK

Cadet
Hi

I am strictly a home user with minimal NAS knowledge. Yup, that means loads of questions. :) I have been running a small 2 disk qnap for a few years but recently upgraded my PC so decided to "save" my old one and take the plunge. I do have FreeNas loaded and running on an internal HDD as I couldn't get my old Mobo to boot properly from a USB stick but I did have an idea this morning so may play with that today.
Hope to keep up with all the happenings here.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Welcome! You might want to have a look at the Resources Section - there's been some activity with newcomer-friendly documents that you might want to check out.

GaryK

Cadet
Thanks, I have been perusing that area a little bit and have found some very helpful posts. Even though I have found something on terminology, I believe the "introduction to ZFS", I am still trying to figure out what a lot of the terms mean ( particularily when it comes to the pools, vdev, datasets.. guessing the whole ZFS thing) I am sort of, kind of starting to get it though.
Still in the midst of playing and building so not crucial as I won't loading things up until I have a complete understanding and a few more hard drives. :)

GaryK

Cadet
ooops, my mistake, it wasn't the "intro to ZFS" that you are maintaining it was the powerpoint referenced in your article which I read.