Help with permissions for Transmission and NextCloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
I have 2 basically opposite problems.

1. My transmission plug-in seems to always have write access, even when I remove the access or completely remove the user (from FreeNAS and Windows permissions). The only way I can stop it from writing is by creating a transmission user and explicitly checking Deny Write. I don't understand how it has permission to write to my drives when I don't even have a transmission user.

2. I can't seem to get uploading (writing) to NextCloud working. I created a new user with UID 80, and then went to the folder I wanted it to write to and added the NextCloud user to the security settings on Windows and gave it full control. I even tried setting it as the owner of that folder but then I got "Unable to change owners, Access is denied" even though I'm logged in as the owner of that folder.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I can write to NextCloud but only to it's own data folder. If I try to write to a dataset connected as external storage, it gives me an permission error.

Does anyone have a solution?

Last edited:

scrappy

Patron
A sure way to allow read/write access is to create matching users/groups in both, jail and host with matching UID/GIDs and set permissions on the dataset(s) accordingly. You could also create a user group in FreeNAS and add the users you want to that group for group permission control over a given dataset.

It all comes down to user/group permissions. If FreeNAS doesn't know who that user/UID/group/GID is coming from the jail, it usually won't allow it more than basic access.

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
A sure way to allow read/write access is to create matching users/groups in both, jail and host with matching UID/GIDs and set permissions on the dataset(s) accordingly. You could also create a user group in FreeNAS and add the users you want to that group for group permission control over a given dataset.

It all comes down to user/group permissions. If FreeNAS doesn't know who that user/UID/group/GID is coming from the jail, it usually won't allow it more than basic access.

EDIT: I accidentally put my reply inside the quote.

I had that set up for transmission and next cloud but I'm still having issues. Transmission still has write access when it shouldnt and vice versa for nextcloud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.