Transmission permissions problem

George51

Contributor
I have manually set up a jail and installed Transmission. I've added groups to the jail so that it has permission to write to the folder I have added via storage.
It works fine, it can download fine. However. Whenever the jail is restarted, the folder that the downloads go into has its permissions changed to transmission:transmission, which interestingly breaks transmission. Any torrents that were downloading complain and stall, and it won't download anything new.

When I reset the permissions back to nobody:Dler (where Dler is the group that i've added to the transmission jail and added to the transmission user) and force restart of all the torrents they all start working again and I can get new torrents fine.

So somewhere there is a permissions issue, but where do I start to debug this?

Cheers

dureal99d

Contributor
Good morning!!

Are you using nfs or samba shares? and if you are using either did you create your folder thru the storage tab or in the file manager of either operating system?

If you are using windows; create the folder thru the explorer and manage the permissions using windows explorer.

if you are using Linux - make sure you give the appropriate groups read write access via the permission setting of the Freenas gui.

I have found this way to be the best way to set up transmission and I've never had an issue in this way.

jerryone

Cadet
Guys verry easy. Windows has no power over freenas!!!! No mount permision needed just STORAGE PROBLEM WHEN U WRITE!!!!! GO TO STORAGE UNDER JAILS U HAVE TRANSMISSION_1 GIVE THE PERMISION TO WRITE OWNER/GROUP/OTHER MARK UNIX AND CLICK CHANGE

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

George51

Contributor
So its not that I can't write. I can write to the storage, my issue is everytime I restart the jail it for some reason turns the "download" folder to transmission:transmission

This seems to stop it accessing the files within (which are still nobody:DLer as expected)

The storage is a dataset created through the storage tab. I understand the permissions that it should be and it does work like I said, how do I stop transmission resetting the permissions on the folder when I restart the jail?

jerryone

Cadet
So its not that I can't write. I can write to the storage, my issue is everytime I restart the jail it for some reason turns the "download" folder to transmission:transmission

This seems to stop it accessing the files within (which are still nobody:DLer as expected)

The storage is a dataset created through the storage tab. I understand the permissions that it should be and it does work like I said, how do I stop transmission resetting the permissions on the folder when I restart the jail?
U have tray to delelte all of what transmision have on freenas? And after clean reinstal storage!!! Jail!!! Plagins!!! Everything?

George51

Contributor
U have tray to delelte all of what transmision have on freenas? And after clean reinstal storage!!! Jail!!! Plagins!!! Everything?

Sorry I think you've misunderstood me. I do not want to delete transmission, it is working as advertised. I am using set groups for the reason that I have multiple jails involving different datasets, some overlapping and I don't want un-needed access across them. That and I only have a select group of users able to view these datasets anyway. I am not using any plugins, all of my jails are manually configured. My issue is a small issue related to permissions upon restarting the jail, I am sure it is something I've set up incorrectly. If anyone else can wade in and give me a steer on where to look for debugging this that would be appreciated.

George51

Contributor
Shameless bump, still having the permissions on just the folder changed whenever the jail (or transmission service) is restarted.

curufin

Cadet
Shameless bump, still having the permissions on just the folder changed whenever the jail (or transmission service) is restarted.

I know this is an old thread, but I came upon it while researching this exact same issue and I wanted to share the solution I finally found.

Stop transmission with the command service transmission stop

Open the file /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission

About midway through the file, find the line:
: ${transmission_chown:=yes}
and change it to
: ${transmission_chown:=no}

Now you can restart transmission using service transmission start

Transmission will no longer change the owner and group of its download directory and files, and you will no longer slam your head against the desk in frustration.

Vaughn

Cadet
I know this is an old thread, but I came upon it while researching this exact same issue and I wanted to share the solution I finally found.

Stop transmission with the command service transmission stop

Open the file /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission

About midway through the file, find the line:
: ${transmission_chown:=yes}
and change it to
: ${transmission_chown:=no}

Now you can restart transmission using service transmission start

Transmission will no longer change the owner and group of its download directory and files, and you will no longer slam your head against the desk in frustration.

Works like a charm. Thanks for this!

There is a rc.conf option for this, might not have existed at the time of original posts. Best not to edit the rc script, I believe these changes will get lost with updates.

transmission_chown: By default, transmission checks and fixes the permissions for its home directory. If this causes problems, set this variable to no.