Behold the Wumpus
Hi Harvinder,

Will it work? Yes.

Would I buy it? No.

-Will

Harvinder

Cadet
Hi Will,

Thanks for the reply, what is your reason for not buying it?

Thanks
Harvinder

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Harvinder,

That's a whole lot of box to run a single drive (your original post sounds like you want 1 drive). I would expect it to be loud, fairly power hungry & not it's exactly a home-friendly form factor.

Given I have no idea what you intend to do with it or anything, I can only guess how it will be used, but my gut tells me this might not be ideal for you.

-Will

Harvinder

Cadet
Yes I understand what you mean.

I wish to use the FreeNas server to store documents, movies etc and stream content. Also would like to use it for a small business use.

I am intending to have one 60gb Sata drive for FreeNas OS, and another seperate 750gb drive to store content.

Do you have any suggestions for something more suitable for what I want to do would like to stick to a £300 budget?

Thanks
Harvinder

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Skip the 60gb drive for OS. Use a USB thumb drive as recommended in the documentation.

You say you want to use for small business and storing pictures and documents, yet you have zero redundancy of the storage. You might want to rethink that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think your price point is too low considering your intention to use it for business storage. Redundancy is a must for business.

Harvinder

Cadet
It is for a small family run business, just to keep documents on etc so they are accessible for different locations.

What do you mean by "I have zero redundancy of the storage."?

Thanks
Harvinder

warri

Guru
A single hard drive does not offer you any redundancy. If it fails, all your data is gone.
You need at least 2 drives, for example to mirror their contents. Then one drive can fail and your data is still safe.

Especially in a business environment redundancy and backups are crucial, since losing important data usually translates directly into losing a lot of money.

Harvinder

Cadet
Yes I totally agree, therefore I shall purchase two 750gb Drives so one mirrors to the other.

However in my intial post I was told that:

"That's a whole lot of box to run a single drive (your original post sounds like you want 1 drive). I would expect it to be loud, fairly power hungry & not it's exactly a home-friendly form factor"

Do you have any suggestions in regards to a box suitable for what i need it for?

Thanks
Harvinder

Status
Not open for further replies.