[HELP] NIC to NIC direct connection from FN to my PC

Locphamca

Cadet
Hi all,

I recently moved to a dorm and no longer has my own router so I've been trying to do a direct connection from my FN to my PC but nothing seem to work. I read a couple of posts and did all of the suggestions but still no hope.

Please help!!!

Hmmm... Did you try a crossover cable? You could also get a real cheap switch (I'm in Canada, too, so this is Canadian):
D-Link 5-Port Metal Gigabit Switch (DGS-105) Best Buy

If you still have the router you could use that between your PC/FN and your dorm's network. Might be safer, too! :)

(It might be easier to get a switch than a cross-over cable now days...)

Locphamca

Cadet
I do have a simple switch but I thought a direct connection will yield a better transfer rate? Sorry if that was a stupid question?

Well, what are you using the FN box for? Just simple file sharing or streaming movies? I'd say the simple switch would do just fine. If you are doing something like editing videos you may want to have GigE. Generally, if you have a GigE switch since it looks like only you and the FN box, you should be fine.

Locphamca

Cadet
Mostly just storage and back up. I’m connecting both to a switch now see if it’ll work? If I connect them to a switch do I still set static IP addresses for both?

If you are only connecting the PC to the FN box, sure. Just use something in the 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z ranges.

Locphamca

Cadet
Capture.PNG

this is how I set the static IP for the PC

FOR FN : ipV4 192.168.1.4 submask 255.255.255.0 no gateway or DNS

Sorry, I wasn't clear (it was either 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z). If you have your PC as 192.168.1.5 you can set your FN box as 192.168.1.6

no_connection

Patron
Try to turn off ipv6, I don't know how many times windows sends packets out the wrong interface for no good reason.
If that does nothing then set it to a 10.x.x.x address. 255.255.255.0 netmask works fine. I have had that "unfreeze" windows for no good reason too.
Do you have any other interface connected to the computer?