Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorem-Ipsum

Dabbler
Hi All,

I'm from the UK and am currently using FreeNAS in my homelab.

I'm currently running 2 HP Gen8 Microservers, one with FreeNAS for storage and the other with Proxmox as a hypervisor.

FreeNAS has 10GB of RAM and a RAIDz of 4 3TB WD Red drives.
Proxmox has 12GB of RAM and a ZFS Mirror of 2 1TB Toshiba drives.

I have been using FreeNAS/ZFS for some time now and thought it was about time I signed up to the forums.

Recently I've been working on building a monitoring dashboard with telegraf, influxdb and grafana and now that FreeNAS can send it's reporting data using the graphite collectd plugin in 9.10 I've been able to have some fun with graphing.
(Hopefully it's OK to put images in my first post?)

2VQu7nF.png

pCe0QkQ.png

Once I'm happy with the dashboards and data collection I'll look into writing a tutorial.

Plans for the year are to expand to 20TB of storage and (at least) 16GB of RAM and I'm really looking forward to the new FreeNAS GUI in 10.0.

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Welcome!
Looking forward to the tutorial.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi All,

I'm from the UK and am currently using FreeNAS in my homelab.

I'm currently running 2 HP Gen8 Microservers, one with FreeNAS for storage and the other with Proxmox as a hypervisor.

FreeNAS has 10GB of RAM and a RAIDz of 4 3TB WD Red drives.
Proxmox has 12GB of RAM and a ZFS Mirror of 2 1TB Toshiba drives.

I have been using FreeNAS/ZFS for some time now and thought it was about time I signed up to the forums.

Recently I've been working on building a monitoring dashboard with telegraf, influxdb and grafana and now that FreeNAS can send it's reporting data using the graphite collectd plugin in 9.10 I've been able to have some fun with graphing.
(Hopefully it's OK to put images in my first post?)

2VQu7nF.png

pCe0QkQ.png

Once I'm happy with the dashboards and data collection I'll look into writing a tutorial.

Plans for the year are to expand to 20TB of storage and (at least) 16GB of RAM and I'm really looking forward to the new FreeNAS GUI in 10.0.
Looks cool!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Looks nice, I like the layout. Now make then sortable via "drag and drop" and you are onto something. ;)

Evan Richardson

Explorer
Looks nice, I like the layout. Now make then sortable via "drag and drop" and you are onto something. ;)
Grafana does let you drag them around, as well as sort/select different things.

I'd be interested in how you got it set up using telegraf... I know collectd can report into influx directly, but how did you get telegraf on freenas? build from source? Last i was reading in their bug tracker freebsd wasn't fully supported yet.

Jacopx

Patron
News? :D

Lorem-Ipsum

Dabbler
I ended up running onto major issues with the time series database I was using and so I've had to put this on hold for the time being.

As soon as I can pick up some SSD's or fix the issues I was having with the database I'll be able to continue testing.

I'm also setting up Collectd -> Influxdb -> Grafana 3. And spent allot of time creating a port for Grafana 3 (beta), and I haven't found proper way way to handle npm dependencies. Currently it works but don't follow the packaging guidelines. Collectd is also a bit awkward and FreeNAS limits the changes you can do to the config. I'm currently using the Graphite output of Collectd writing to Influxdbs Graphite plugin but I would like to switch to using Collectds network plugin and Influxdbs Collectd plugin or just ditch Collectd and use Telegraf instead but then I (/someone) must fix the ZFS plugin so it works on FreeBSD, from the readme it looks like linux only currently.

Jacopx

Patron
I like to implement a Jail where i can set Grafana 3 or Graphite (which is better?) how can i do it?

Jacopx

Patron
I like to implement a Jail where i can set Grafana 3 or Graphite (which is better?) how can i do it?
Create a jail, enter it, install package grafana2. See the docs https://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_jails.html

Grafana is much better than Graphite but it dosen't completely replace it. You need a separate data stor.

I have create a Jail and i have run:
Code:
pkg install grafana

Now what i must do? :(

p.s. I'm a noob but i really like to understand and learning this kind of things! If you don't want to reply to me here i can sent to you my mail!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have create a Jail and i have run:
Code:
pkg install grafana

Now what i must do? :(

p.s. I'm a noob but i really like to understand and learning this kind of things! If you don't want to reply to me here i can sent to you my mail!
When you make a jail, think of it as just a freebsd install.

Go to the Internet and use your favorite search engine and '<thingyouwanttosearch> on FreeBSD'

thedeadzone

Dabbler
Hey Lorem-Ipsum
Is it possible that you post your config for the graphite plugin ?
The documentation mentions you need some templates to save the data in a correct way with tags to influxdb.
Maybe export your whole dashboards as a starting point for other folks too ?

I have a running InfluxDB/Grafana server. Yesterday I configured collected on FreeNAS (9.10) to send it's data to my InfluxDB server. You will have to configure the network plugin.

Add to /usr/local/etc/collectd.conf on the FreeNAS system:

Code:
LoadPlugin network

and at the end:

Code:
<Plugin "network">
    Server "<your IP address>" "25826"
</Plugin>

For the InfluxDB side I already used the collected plugin. Here is the config part for collectd. This is configured in /etc/influxdb/influxdb.conf.

Code:
[[collectd]]
  enabled = true
  bind-address = ":25826"
  database = "collectd_db"
  retention-policy = ""
  batch-size = 1000
  batch-pending = 5
  batch-timeout = "1s"
  read-buffer = 0
  typesdb = "/usr/share/collectd/types.db"

In Grafana I can see all the metrics FreeNAS is sending and create my own graphs. My other NAS is running Nexenta and this was what I wanted all along but was not able to do. I'm a happy camper now!

I also created my own CPU monitor script for FreeNAS. It works by sending the data to InfluxDB by UDP. I will start working on a similar script for monitoring HDD temp. I already sam some scripts reporting the HDD temp with an RRD graph. But I'm not really into RRD. It is flattening out information when used over a long period. And 1990 called, it wants its graphs back! Grafana is more flexible and looks great.

Please let me know if you need more information.

lazybones

Dabbler
Hey there, first and foremost, thank you allot for the information, id like to know how i can install Grafana and Influxdb, I have very limited experience with that.

Also, what OS are you running the Grafana server on?
I'd also like some screenshots if you don't mind.
Those scripts look really nice, something, does it capture all the things?, like for example how much traffic that goes over your network interfaces?

I'm running Debian jessie. For installation I just downloaded the debian packages from https://www.influxdata.com and http://grafana.org. For configuration I used the documentation of both projects.

My screenshots would look like the OP. Grafana is a tool or framework in which you can create your own graphs, tables and single value presentation of your data.

My script only gathers CPU temperature. The other script will only gather HDD temperatures. Collectd is the process that gathers everything. This is included in FreeNAS. Network information is also gathered by collectd. You just have to create the right graph to visualize the data.

lazybones

Dabbler
Ok so i have installed influxdb and grafana in a iohyve VM but and i did set the VM ip adress in the collectd config on the freenas system I added the the collectd information on the bottom of the grafanaside. But I cannot currently see anything in the grafana intercface.

I know this sounds very basic but I am learning as I go so let me know what I need to do make the graphs actually appear.

Thanks a bunch for sharing your information anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.