Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johny leFok

Cadet
Hi,
it started for me about 3 years ago after looking for an alternative for all the external drives I had laying around.
A friend from work told me about ZFS and FreeNAS, I did some reading about it(not enough imho).
Had some old hardware laying around and my first FreeNAS-box was born.

Freenas version 8.0.x(don't remember)
mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
cpu: Intel Core2Duo E8400 @3Ghz (775)
ram: 4x 1GB DDR2 Apacer non ECC RAM(didn't know about ECC back then)
hdd: 2x 1TB (mirror) and 4x 2TB WD greens(bought about a week before the floods :p) in Raidz1.

After about a year it started filling up and wanted/needed to upgrade.
Had done some more reading about ZFS in the meanwhile(still not enough) and decided that I needed raidz2.
I bought some more 2TB's so that I had a total of 10x 2TB, got some "cheap" RAM via work to max-out the motherboard to 8GB and a couple of pci-e 1x sata expansion cards.
I backed-up the data, wiped the pools and usb-stick and did a fresh install of Freenas.

FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)
mobo: GA-P35-DS3
cpu: E8400
ram: 4x 2GB DDR2 Kingston non-ECC(I had read about it by now but found the extra cost for ECC memory just to much)
hdd: 10x 2TB WD greens in a single raidz2

v9eD7.jpg

This system has been running nearly 2 years like this and I love it but you figured it, it is filling up fast :p
In the last months I started buying parts to build a new system based on ECC ram.

FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64
mobo: Asus P8B-C/SAS/4L
cpu: Intel Pentium G2130 (1155)
ram: Kingston ECC KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G (Yeah ecc memory!)
hdd: non so far, think the price hasn't dropped enough compared to pre-flood

0sWvRT0.jpg

So I have this case finished about a week ago and doubting if I should move the entire pool to the new system or back it up on a new 6x 4TB raidz2 and break the existing 10x 2TB raidz2.

Now comes the reason of me registering here and posting all this.

This morning I get mail saying there is some SMART error detected, check the GUI and see the following.
LZhOyTm.jpg

The pool is still "healthy" and I'm able to access all data but extremely slow,
so I guess ada6 needs to be replaced, I have a spare ready.
But now the question of a million bucks for me:

Should I first resilver in my old system and then move them to the new one,
or move them first and then resilver?
My most crucial data is backed-up, but really don't want to loose my pool and rip my entire DVD collection again and more ..

Anyway, thanks in advance for your advice.

TL;DR
Hi, have existing 10x 2TB raidz2 with failed drive, resilver in existing non ECC-system and then move to new ECC-system or first move to new ECC-system and then resilver ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you can choose to move to the new hardware or continue on the old hardware. To be honest, I'd probably resilver on the old system so that when you move to the new system everything regarding the pool is in good working order. But, if you feel more comfortable moving to the new hardware and then replacing the failed drive that's definitely an option and it should work just as well. ;)

You could even pull the zpool out of the old hardware and when installing it in the new hardware you simply remove the failed drive and install the new drive and simply follow the procedure in the manual for disk replacement for a failed drive on the new hardware. ;)

Hyperion

Dabbler
Remove that drive IMMEDIATELY.
“Currently Unreadable (pending) sectors”.. means the HDD is about to fail.
WD will replace your drive. Just fill in an RA.

I like your pics, nice air flow.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Nice cable management, but the use of non-removable cable ties brings me back some bad memories...

Johny leFok

Cadet
I have replaced the drive and it is doing the resilver in the "old system" as we speak, ("1.02T resilvered " atm) should be done in a couple of hours.

@Hyperion; will first try my local reseller where I bought the drive(s) :)

@Ericloewe; Yes this is my first piece of cable management that I was really proud of, had that pic as background for over a year :p

Status
Not open for further replies.