Hello trying to figure out if FreeNAS is what I am looking for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee C

Cadet
So I am looking to build a cloud / streaming / storage computer. Was hoping to install owncloud in order to be able to access all of my data from places like school or work while I am on my laptop or even one of the schools computers. Would have different things on there like word, cad, inventor, or mathematica files.

Also would like to be able to stream movies from the same box from devices in home and even from across the internet if possible.

Not sure if this is considering a NAS build at this point or more of the owncloud? I honestly don't know much about this stuff right now but am trying to read up and do my research before this build. I have seen things like Plex and XBMC but not sure if they should be run off the same machine or not. If so is an i3 enough or do I need a xenon or an i7?

This is where I am getting kind of lost. Thanks any help or advice is appreciated!
Lee

Jamie J35

Cadet
Sounds like this is exactly what you need. I just finished mine a few weeks ago and it has been great. Before i used my htpc for storage and to stream videos. now i use freenas with plex for video access at home and remotley. at home i use a dlna player, windows media center on pc or es file explorer on tables and phones. i have not setup owncloud yet but that is my next step so cant comment on that setup but it works just like you hope it would. as far as processor power, before i had a quad core amd and i could stream plex to other users while watching live tv through my ceton. if you are only using it for plex and cloud access you dont need a crazy processor. i would suggest 8 gb of ram though. i got a six core amd fx processor and MB for $109 at microcenter.

Status
Not open for further replies.