hello storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

vIC

Dabbler
Hi all, I'm quite new to FreeNAS and BSD. Was trying to figure out how to do a proper Linux jail on FreeNAS box with only 3 disks. Ready made FreeNAS box looks really amazing as well as the FreeNAS software, but it's really difficult to get the ready made from Europe.

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

The "ready made FreeNAS box" uses off the shelf components, so if you've built systems before, you could source the parts and build it yourself. Please look at our stickies and other resources for more information.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hi all, I'm quite new to FreeNAS and BSD. Was trying to figure out how to do a proper Linux jail on FreeNAS box with only 3 disks. Ready made FreeNAS box looks really amazing as well as the FreeNAS software, but it's really difficult to get the ready made from Europe.
There is no Linux jail.

vIC

Dabbler
There is no Linux jail.
That's clear to me by now :). I would like to run a linux VM and was trying iohyve. posted another message on the error I met. how do I "install grub2-bhyve" since install directly onto FreeNAS is now allowed? Thanks!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Is there something you need from Linux that a freebsd jail can't do?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What application do you want to run?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

vIC

Dabbler
want to run web2py, for that I need
  • http server [apache || nginx],
  • python 2.7,
  • virtualenv,
  • database [mariadb || postgres],
  • sendmail
I suppose they are all there in a bsd jail, only they do not know me yet on freebsd. I saw dozens of posts and videos claim/imply setting up Linux on FreeNAS was quite straightforward and easy, think that might be easier for me to install Linux than learning bsd. Bad idea?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
All of those things are readily available on freebsd.

There used to be Linux jails available but they were buggy and hacky. They were removed because they performed horribly and failed so often.

There's not a whole lot of difference between Linux and freebsd. Not sure what the complication is.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
  • python 2.7,
  • virtualenv,
  • sendmail
I suppose they are all there in a bsd jail, only they do not know me yet on freebsd. I saw dozens of posts and videos claim/imply setting up Linux on FreeNAS was quite straightforward and easy, think that might be easier for me to install Linux than learning bsd. Bad idea?

I'm a big advocate for giving FreeBSD a try and learning it. Once you get used to the workflow, I think you'll definitely like it. If you aren't quite ready to dive into FreeNAS yet but want to learn more about FreeBSD, you can always give our sister project TrueOS a try. It's an easy to use, graphical, FreeBSD-based operating system complete with GUI's that will give you an out of box experience similar to a graphical Linux.

Edit: Oops forgot to link: https://www.trueos.org/

vIC

Dabbler
Downloading in progress!
Thank you guys for the great advises.
Gonna dive my head into the FreeBSD pond.
You will hear if I survive.
adIOS

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
  • python 2.7,
  • virtualenv,
  • sendmail
Installing this stuff should be super easy. Just use pkg to install everything.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.