Greetings from MS Gulf Coast

oxymo

Cadet
Hello!
I am a wanna be home labber, all for personal projects and being part of the open source community.
I started looking into NAS boxes about a year ago and was ready to pony up the cash for a pre built option, but ended up on freenas because of zfs and fond memories of bsd, who doesn't love to diy.. I can remember downloading (for days) and working my butt off to get FreeBSD installed back in the mid 90's just to say I did it. I moved on to linux pretty quickly and still have a windows dependency, but who doesn't?

I really wanted a proper implementation of zfs and after a couple weeks of reading, I've got all the parts ordered for what I hope to be a decent freenas build. Supermicro -f board, 32gb ecc ram, 6x6tb nas drives (3/3 wd red/ironwolf) for raidz2, ssd boot drive, tower case, decent psu, and a ups.

I'm dedicating the box to nas only, with maybe a plex jail. I've got a lot more reading to do, but there are resources a plenty.

Special thanks to all the folks that maintain and assist with this project. I hope to be a contributing member soon enough!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Welcome to the funhouse! Let us know if you run into any hiccups getting involved.