Hello .. help.. ZFS Replace (resilver) and Other Drive failing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

idmah

Cadet
Hello all.

New here .. but of course I'm in need of help.

I had a drive that was failing. So in shell I zpool replace ZFS_Pool /dev/ad6/
which started happily and I went to bed. This morning. I looked at the status and
it was stuck at 52.46% remaining - I waited a while (1 hour) and the time remaining kept going up and up
with no change in % done.

I'm getting Some sort of Smart error on another drive. /dev/ad8 which I think is causing this.
will post that when I get home.. but

1. is it safe to offline ad8?
2. should I abort the resilver (and if so, how?)
3. what should I do ?

* of course I have no backup of all my data.. because I'm a nob.

Note: the system hasn't been 100% for a while, it goes crashes every now and then, but usually a hard reboot seems to "fix it", also using an old version of FreeNas (7RC1) or something. Too afraid to upgrade it.

thanks for any help.
Ian

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is there any particular reason you didn't follow the manual for disk replacement? The GUI has everything you need to do what you need to do.

FreeNAS Manual section 6.3.11 - Replacing a Failed Drive or ZIL Device

If you have redundancy then I would offline the failed disk and perhaps reboot and do a scrub if one doesn't start automatically after the reboot. More than likely the disk is so broken it can't read anymore so its stuck at 52.46%. As the average speed continues to drop since time is passing but there is no progress you can expect the time to approach infinity.

If you don't have redundancy then you have a problem. I'm not sure how you could fix this except to backup your data, destroy the zpool and recreate it. This is why redundancy is so good. :)

paleoN

Wizard
Is there any particular reason you didn't follow the manual for disk replacement?
Note: the system hasn't been 100% for a while, it goes crashes every now and then, but usually a hard reboot seems to "fix it", also using an old version of FreeNas (7RC1) or something. Too afraid to upgrade it.
You have the wrong Forum. NAS4Free, continuation of .7 series, forums are your best bet, http://forums.nas4free.org/.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah. Ignore everything I said and head over to the nas4free forums.

And another person is bit by the Freenas 7 to Freenas 8 conversion...

Status
Not open for further replies.