ZFS raidz1 resilver restarts after 1 min

Status
Not open for further replies.

gastal

Cadet
I'm not sure how much information is really useful for you guys to help me figure out this issue so I'm going to tell the whole story, which is kind of long.

I had 3 1TB hard drives(WD10EADS) in a raidz1 array working, after sometime 2 of them started giving me SMART errors, I turned the machine off and ordered new 1TB hard drives(WD10EARS). When I received the new hard drives I turn the machine back on, and told it to replace one of the problematic drives with one of the new ones, this went as expected, I shutdown the machine removed the just replaced drive. I turn the machine back on, and told it to replace the remaining problematic drive with a new one, however midway through this my PSU malfunctioned and shut the machine down. I ordered a new PSU(and case, tough I guess it's irrelevant) and when it arrived powered the system on with the new PSU only to discover that there my pool had corrupted metadata. I tried to use ope indiana to recover the pool with zpool import -fFX <pool>, this resulted in open indiana freezing after a few hours(several times). I resigned myself to the fact that the data was lost, and sent the malfunctioning hard drives to WD support(they were still under warranty). Yesterday I turned the machine on to access data on a different device and to my extreme surprise it showed my pool as DEGRADED but with no errors, I mounted it and my data was indeed present and seemingly intact. The problem is that the ongoing resilvering seems to restart every minute or so. I have no snapshots being taken or any other use of the pool for that matter. But the "resilver in progress for" message never goes above 0h1m. Here is the output of zpool status:

# zpool status -v DATA
pool: DATA
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered. The pool will
continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
scrub: resilver in progress for 0h1m, 0.00% done, 1609h46m to go
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
DATA DEGRADED 0 0 0
raidz1 DEGRADED 0 0 0
ad8 ONLINE 0 0 0 8.42M resilvered
replacing DEGRADED 0 0 0
3428170038936395051 UNAVAIL 3 183 0 was /dev/ad6
ad6 ONLINE 0 0 0 12.7M resilvered
ad14 ONLINE 0 0 0 8.43M resilvered

errors: No known data errors

So my question is, how do I get the resilver to complete and my pool back to ONLINE status?

gastal

Cadet
I don't know why I didn't think of that before posting the question, but trying a new version of ZFS is always a good idea when old ones don't quite work, so I booted up open indiana, imported the pool and some 24 hours later I have my pool back to online and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.