raidz2 keeps crashing during resilver process

Status
Not open for further replies.

andstein85

Dabbler
I tried running something very similar with an old Dell SC1430 with 2x X5355's (120w TDP each vs 80w for the E5335). Between the fan noise and the heat, it made my home office pretty unpleasant. But the Dell could run with only one CPU socket occupied, which helped a bit. I'm not sure the Supermicro board would run correctly with only a single socket occupied.

An old X9Sxx board with a Xeon E3 would cut the TDP in half, and offer almost double the performance.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...355-vs-Intel-Xeon-E3-1270-V2/1229vs1294vs1192

I'm already using Xeon E5335's in my current board :P.

But still... with my office door closed in the winter(and the HVAC vent closed), my office stays a toasty 75 degrees which makes working in shorts and a t-shirt kinda nice. Granted this office is insulated on all 4 walls with rockwool sound deadening insulation which is also r15 rated, so it traps heat really well. In the summer I vent the heat out of the closet using a brushless bathroom fan(nearly silent) installed directly above the rack and I keep a passive return vent open to allow cool air from the rest of the house to be drawn into my office. It stays fairly comfortable year round, but the key is I don't have to use a space heater to keep my toes from freezing in the winter, which in the long run actually saves me money in electricity.

Using iSCSI over Fiberchannel with this board and CPU combo is actually very performant in comparison to all of the other NAS configurations I've tested. With a 120MB/s transfer from my media server VM over the network to my desktop, the NAS server never saw over 8% CPU. An internal transfer from one LUN on my media server vm to another LUN (same array) runs about 400MB/s, but CPU still doesn't go past 50%. A storage vMotion from the local raid10 array on the ESXi host to a LUN on the FreeNAS server run's about 700MB/s which pegs CPU probably because the fibre card is maxed out and becomes a bottleneck. Now that I think about it....the last time I did a storage vMotion of a VM over 50GB, it caused the freeNAS server to crash, probably because RAM/chipset was overheating during the transfer. At the time, I couldn't figure out why though and ended up re-deploying the VM I needed directly to the FreeNAS array instead of moving it over from the local raid.

One day my wife will let me spend some money to upgrade this ancient NAS hardware.... and it will happen eventually, especially considering I've noticed FreeNAS 11.2 won't boot using this board. But it'd be a waste of a Christmas ask IMO as there are many more smart home devices I'd rather ask for. One day though... But then again, one day I'll build a deck... and one day I'll re-model my kitchen and master bathroom... #neverdone

BTW, thanks everyone for the feedback and help. I absolutely love the FreeNAS project.

andstein85

Dabbler
I had one of those. It was very power hungry if I recall correctly. You might save a bit on electricity by going to a newer board.

You might be able to run Plex instead if you went to a little newer hardware for the CPU transcoding.

Back when I adopted Emby(it was MediaBrowser for XBOX 360 back then) it had the features I needed and used it forever to stream my custom ripped WMV's from Windows Media Center on Windows 7 lol. I've obviously gone through quite a few iterations since then and now all my media is in MKV containers. When I looked into Plex a couple years ago, it didn't support DTS passthrough, which I got to work flawlessly with Emby Server and a Kodi front end on the FireTV 2. Now that I have all Roku's though, everything direct streams still, but audio passthrough compatibility with the Emby Roku app is hit or miss so I may revisit Plex... I've not had time to troubleshoot thoroughly enough though.

The ESXi host that's running emby is plenty capable of running plex, especially considering nearly everything that is played from this server is direct streamed. Regardless, I've been really happy with Emby thus far as the only time I ever have to trancode is when I'm streaming Live TV to a chromecast from Emby on my phone or watching something on my phone or iPad over VPN while away from home where my upload speed is capped at 10Mb/s but I've never had problems with buffering with the rate set to Auto in the Emby App.

It'd be hard to leave Emby after so long... I might just check it out though.

EDIT: So I tried Plex... and yeah, its come a long way since I tested it last and I think I can safely leave Emby behind. :'(

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The drives stay at about 30-34C during load and the CPU's don't get above 38C.

Its basically everything else that's passively cooled...RAM, NB/SB chips. This Supermicro board was never designed to sit inside a PC style case that doesn't forcefully move air from front to back like my IBM x3650 does... This case is pretty terrible for airflow honestly, but it was cheap and still has tons of room for drive expansion.

Please keep in mind most of what you see are extra parts I had lying around.

Yeah, that airflow setup won't do a board like that any favors as you're finding out.

Do you have any intake fans in the front? If not, you're running a significant amount of negative pressure on the case, which in my experience is far less effective at cooling, as well as prone to inhaling a lot more dust.

If you don't have options for adding front intake fans, perhaps a PCI-slot-mounted arm to hold a fan blowing downwards on your NB/SB heatsinks would be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.