Hello from Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidudi

Cadet
Hello

First, please excuse my writing. English is my second language the there will be some horrible structured sentences ;)

Am I a novice? Hell, yeah. FreeBSD is all new to me. Originally I found my way around a Commodore64, then did my first BasicA code in DOS on a AT03, later switched to Pascal and C. My first self-constructed PC was an 8086 with 128MB RAM and a 10MB drive for the price of a small car :)
At that time there was a worldwide-amateur-network called FIDO where I was part of the backbone structure in Europe. Yeah and all that with 2x80MB storage at $900 each and a superfast 9600bps dialup-modem.

Somehow I gave up on PC's and did different things. I had other priorities and I was just a "user".

During the last holiday season I had some spare time and since my 6-year-old LaCie 4TB box was pretty filled up I gave it some thought installing a "real" NAS. Of course I also wanted to know if I could pull it off again. The past two decades, besides replacing a harddrive here and there, I didn't see the inside of a box.

This forum became like a second home for many days and nights but I never registered as a user since I was just reading and learning, and more reading and more learing.

The whole installation process went quite smooth and I am happy with the results. Of course I had troubles here and there but nothing "too serious". Hats off to all the cracks in this forum and their effort to help!

My setup for now is:

Supermicro X9-SCM-F
Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2
2x8GB Kingston DDR3 EEC
4x2TB Seagate RAIDZ
plus 1TB+500GB older disks from previous systems configured as stripe

Next to FreeNas as the base I am running several plugins like transmission, plexconnect, owncloud etc.

Why the stripe-config? Because I had no additional money left to buy another two 2TB drives and go with a 6x2TB setup. I wanted to setup the ZFS pool with 6 drives for future expansation. The idea is to replace those someday with 2TB drives and grow the RAID array.

I use the NAS manly for my photo/movie/music database and for common storage between my computers and those of my wife.

Between February and April I have completely switched to FreeBSD-based systems. My Windows-PC is gone, my iMac is gone (replaced with FreeBSD and PC-BSD) and I have even replaced my Netgear router with a pfSense setup.

Why registering as a user now?
Well, just reading the forum doesn't cut it anymore. I can't find the info by myself and I need some serious help.

Thanks again for all the support by this community even though I have never written anything.

Dominik aka Sidudi

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
8086 with 128MB RAM
Wha? An 8086 can't even address RAM over 1MB. Do you mean kB?

In any case, welcome to the forum!

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

It's nice to hear that you have been lurking on the forums and doing your homework, before you built your FreeNAS server. More often, we have new users that didn't do their homework first and are disappointed with their choices.

I probably lurked for ~3 months, before joining the forum.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.