Hello from Michigan USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanOB

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

Just joined your community, in order to participate in the comradery about FreeNAS.

I'm a retired engineer, who loves playing with computers, something I have done for as long as I can remember.
Many years ago, long before RedHat had their IPO, I dabbled with Linux. But, it was too much of a challenge for me at the time, so I didn't stay with it.
However, today I am a Windows user, who is Learning more about Linux, because I want the challenge, or something else to do with my time. Depending on my success, my efforts could mark a departure from the former to the latter.

I have a home network with several Windows computers, which I built up over the years. I wanted to replace my media server, with more capacity, and something more cost effective. My hard drives were nearing the end of their warranty period, and I could not afford to add to the storage pool, or replace them at today's prices.

The media server used an Adaptec RAID controller, which required enterprise class hard drives (re: the TLER function), and not the consumer grade ones.

As a result of my quest, I discovered FreeNAS and I'm very much excited about building a media server with it. The fact that I can use consumer grade hard drives (which are much cheaper) in my RAID storage pool, is the main attraction for me. So, I'm under an intense learning curve right now.

For you moderators and gurus, I posted a question in the "FreeNAS 4 NOObs" forum, asking about the contextual meaning of "running image". Can you help?

Thanks for your replies.

louisk

Patron
If this box is going to be running 24x7, you may wish you'd invested in enterprise drives. They tend to last longer (they are designed to run 24x7).

Status
Not open for further replies.