Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chupathingee

Cadet
Hello everyone. I am relatively new to the forums and am currently building my second FreeNAS server. I work in information security and have worked as a sysadmin in the past so I am pretty comfortable with Linux command line, but in the process of learning FreeBSD. My first (current) server was built a month ago using random hardware just to test it out (Core 2 Duo, 8 GB non-ECC RAM, 4x1.5 TB "green" hard drives), and I found I really liked it. I recently purchased dedicated hardware and just finished assembling the physical components, and I'm about to start testing/burn in. I have:

HP ML10 Server:
Intel Xeon E3-1220V2 3.1GHz 4C/4T
300 Watts 80+ Bronze Non-Hot Plug, Non-Redundant Power Supply
HP 732594-001 ML10 System Board

Extras:
16 GB DDR3-1600 ECC RAM (Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B)
4 x 3 TB Seagate NAS Hard Drives (ST3000VN000)
Intel NIC 10/100/1000 PCI-e (EXPI9301CTBLK)
HP Drive Enablement Kit (742971-B21)

I was really happy with my current setup, with the exception that it couldn't playback HD on Plex while doing anything else (I know, you're supposed to have 12 GB RAM for Plex). I decided to build a new server that would be much more reliable (ECC and NAS drives) and powerful (Xeon and 16 GB RAM). I look forward to interacting with everyone here and learning more!

Last edited:

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

I didn't realize HP had a ML10 server, the last I remember were ML1xx model numbers.

At first, it sounded like a great server at a nice price point. But, it looks like if you want to add more than 1 - 3.5" hard disk, you need a special expansion unit and you need to remove the heatsink/fan in order to slide it into place.

chupathingee

Cadet
Yup... that was a pain. I figured that even with the additional cost it was still a good deal.

chupathingee

Cadet
Ran some CPU stress testing use StressLinux and ran memtest86+. I'm currently running badblocks, which will be followed by smartctl. Once all this is done I plan on installing FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.