Hello from Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steffen K.

Cadet
I'm a Freenas user at home and at work.

At first I became a user at home when I needed to buy a new storage. I was considering buying something from Qnap or Synology until I read a reply in a forum thread about which NAS you could buy. This guy basically just wrote that once you tried Freenas you won't go back to something from Qnap or Synology.

So I took an old computer and installed Freenas as a test on it. And damn he was right. So I bought a HP Microserver G8 which is now my NAS at home.

A few months later I also started using Freenas at work as the OS for the machines that store data of low value.

lbakyl

Cadet
Hi Steffen, yes, you are right, I have the same experience! Sure, QNAP / Synology have fancy GUIs with easy to install plugins, but esp. Synology is often targeted with vulnerabilities and people end up using their NAS as their home theater PC (HTPC), which is not so great (shorter life span, often opened to the world wide web).

FreeNAS, on the other hand, is simple with its GUI with the benefits of ZFS, snapshots, regular scrubs, advanced reporting functions, etc. And if one does want to reach the functionality of the QNAP/Synology plugins, then one can install jails and VMs, all managed by myself. So what is not to like? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.