Greetings from Hamburg

Harlem

Cadet
Greetings from the City of Hamburg, Germany.

My name is Harald, I’m a recently retired IT guy, who started 40 years ago as software engineer with Digital Equipment (DEC). Unfortunately, my professional path took me away from technical stuff into some management positions, so I had to learn a lot of new things when my younger daughter asked me a year ago to build up her website for her start-up business.

As the family’s sysadmin I’m responsible for our quite full-fledged home IT infrastructure: CISCO RV325, CISCO SG200-26P, CISCO SG200-8P, Synology DS415, Canon Pro 1000, openHAB and Homematic home-automation, a bunch of PCs, laptops, mobiles, Raspberries, some droplets at Digitalocean and finally some DIY ESP8266- and ESP32 appliances. As a quite well engaged amateur photographer (RAW only…) I am by far the heaviest consumer of dataspace.
My way to freeNAS started two months ago, when our family NAS Synology DS415 died out of a sudden by the Intel C2000 bug, which was at that time unknown to me. I’ve learned that this issue was well known for years and that Synology didn’t see any responsibility to inform their customers about that risk. Fortunately, I’ve found a way to fix that problem by soldering a 100 Ohm resistor onto the motherboard of the Synology box – but I haven’t found a proper fix for my broken confidence into Synology. So that crap must leave my house as soon as possible.

Right now, I am setting up my first freeNAS system (see signature). I am in the process of burning in the components. Next days I am going to integrate the box into my VLAN network….

I’m quite sure, that during the next weeks I will ask the community for help in order to get my system up and running smoothly.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Welcome to the FreeNAS family! Looks like you got the makings of a pretty nice storage rig there. Good luck on the journey, and feel free to reach out if you run into issues.