Hello from California

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskreider

Dabbler
Hello from the Sacramento Valley!

I'm new to FreeNAS but not to the concept nor ownership of a NAS as a whole. I have owned a 5-Bay QNAP since around 2013, specifically a QNAP TS-569L with 5 x 4TB HGST in RAID 6. It was awesome and has served its purpose. The challenge is that it has been filled and it is time to graduate to something larger, that can be expanded in a modular fashion. I hope that FreeNAS can provide that for me. So, yesterday I bought a used Norco 4224 (aware of backplane challenges) and two M1015 controller cards. I am currently shopping for mobo, CPU, PSU, and some RAM. This is really just a file server so I do not need hardcore processing power. Recommendations are welcome

My idea is to build a 5 x 4TB vdev, copy over the data I have from the QNAP, and then pull the drives from it and create a second vdev, maybe a third. OR, build a 6 x 6TB/8TB vdev and wait for 6TB/8TB HDD prices to drop a little bit before building a 2nd one.

I know that I have a lot of reading to do as I am not a hardware/software expert but not a complete novice either. I am really hoping that the tutorials here can help guide me to my first FreeNAS box.

Thanks for helping me along my new path.

Keith

Inxsible

Guru
I hope that FreeNAS can provide that for me.
It will.
So, yesterday I bought a used Norco 4224 (aware of backplane challenges) and two M1015 controller cards.
You are on the right track, IMO
I know that I have a lot of reading to do
Yes, you do.
I am really hoping that the tutorials here can help guide me to my first FreeNAS box.
They will. Do read the resources that many users have provided on the forums. Also with the Hardware recommendation guides, Disk burn ins, etc etc.

EDIT : Oh and welcome to the forums.

Stux

MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.