Hello FreeNas Bros Newbe Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow

Patron
Hello My Freenas bros Im new to this and its been a fun 3 weeks of pain and gainI guess I went about this back wards But here it goes wall of text below... My set up looks like this ! :mad:

Specs: FreeNas 9.2.1.6
Plugins: Plex Transmission Couch potato Sabnzbd Sick Beard
Ftp I need more then a password but have not found a guide on doing this any guide would be great.
Main Board: Msi Atx 970A-G43
Onboard Enet: Unsure Brand 1x gb enet
Cpu: AMD FX 6300 6x Cores 14mb
Memory: 16Gb kingston hyper x 1866 non Ecc Switch to Crucial 16Gb 1600Mhz Ecc after reading
cyberjock post on Ecc vs non Ecc here

Hd: 2x WD 3tb Audio/Video
2x WD 3tb Reds
1x WD 1tb Blue
ENet: Intel Pro/1000 PCIe Pt Dual Port Server adapter Enet card so i can set up Lagg later on
VidCard: Some cheap Ati video card as my command line skills are not all that good
Case: old Themaltake case that is heavy as h*** it's about 20lbs by its self Replacement is a 3u atx case
Usp: 900 Apc Battery Back up got form good will and replaced the battery's Has a management port rj45??
Usb: Scan disk 8 Gb Usb stick usb 2.0, had trouble with Usb 3.0 could not get the system to boot on 2 other brands Kingston and Crucial Think its a controller or driver Problem and not the Usb sticks. 2.0 works like a charm.
Network: 30/5 Timewanner 18/2 At&t To One Wndr1000 And Wndr4500 dd-wrt To Netgear Gs-108s the to networks are split ones for downloading Lrg Files and the others for every thing eles I use Wifi to like the other pcs that are split
Current network does not support lagg but after i buy a hp Procurve j9028b1800-24g switch, witch, I hope it well work with lagg. I have not looked in to it to see if it well. any suggestion is welcome.
Was going to buy 2 cheap name brand ssds for read wright caching but not sold on it, if it well even help with the performance like i think it would ?
Also was thinking about replacing my Netgear wnrd4500 dd-wrt, whit a Pf Sense router put in a old IMB X3500 or a Dell Power Edge Not sure don't want to spent to much any suggestion would be great.
100-200$

I know this is not the support tread :)

Questions :
Is there a way to set up shut down restart commands I have look But Don't understand how to do this ?
Also is there a card you have to buy for the usp management ?
I want to add more Hard drive's, but don't know what raid or sas card to get ?
Also Some times My performance drops to 5-30 mbps how do i look at the logs/shell to see why?
I get 80-110 on average witch is pretty much maxing it out for one pc with out lag
To much ??

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your questions indicate you haven't checked out our documentation.

doc.freenas.org.

Also check out my noobie guide... it's a sticky in the "New to FreeNAS?" section. Many of your questions are there too.

And looking at the specs on your motherboard it doesn't say ECC RAM, so while it may work with ECC RAM I wouldn't bet my data that the ECC function works. Unfortunately with AMDs I'm not sure how you actually test the function.

But you've definitely got an uphill battle either way as you seem to have put the cart before the horse.

Snow

Patron
I know that the Veshera Class supports ECC. I have sent a mail to Msi support Team to see if they disabled the CB7 through CB0 There is indeed nothing fancy about ECC that would prevent it from operating if the memory controller doesn't support it. Well that would suck. ECC just adds an additional 8 bits to the data bus, called the Check Bits, or CB7 through CB0 . This is usually implemented as a 9th 8-bit DRAM IC alongside the usual 8 DRAM ICs. Validation is done by the memory controller itself. If the Memory controller Supports this is the question. I need to dig deeper to find out. this is not in production yet as hardware may change. I do know that Amd tends to be less restrictive on the marketing side Vs intel, Often supporting Features on consumer products so theirs is a good chance its working but I want to make sure 100% it is working like you said this is not windows and not forgiving.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok, and if MSI gives you the answer you want to hear (which they have lied to people before.. the hard forums have proof of this) are you really going to trust them at their word and put your data on the line all in the name of trusting some support email?

I wouldn't.

Snow

Patron
New board ordered. Cyberjock Thank You :D:D:D You where right I got a generic answer not going to trust some dude that probable does not know the real facts. I really want to stick with the Fx Cpu I still love Intel just can't see spending that much to get so little. Msi said the chip set supports it But only implement in server, enterprise boards witch means that the software is not on the bios to make sure the IC is in use. also I dont think msi even makes 990 Server boards
I ordered Asus M5a99fx Pro r2.0 Am3+ Witch also has 8 sata 6Gbs port witch makes needing a raid card nill Thank you Again If I could tip u I would

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Glad you made the choice. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.