HDD Led (always on)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacopx

Patron
Buongiorno a tutti! :D

I have a problem, since i had finished my freenas i've noticed that my HDD led is always on, i simply remove the pin because i have imagined that my drive with jails (like Plex, Transmission, ecc...) were still under light work and it's why my HDD Led it be on. It's correct? Or it must work?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Some drives do not do anything with the drive activity signal (DAS). It could be normal.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Your light may be indicating power, versus activity. Some HDD lights are always on with power,
and tend to blink and "flicker" with read/write activity.
My server is in it's own room away from my view. My drives are in hot swap bays which have
power and activity lights. It's comforting to be able to tell at a quick glance what is happening,
but you must get up and walk in there to see them. It's just not something I do very often...
The lights are not necessary for the most part, but they have their uses to be sure.

Jacopx

Patron
Some drives do not do anything with the drive activity signal (DAS). It could be normal.
Your light may be indicating power, versus activity. Some HDD lights are always on with power,
and tend to blink and "flicker" with read/write activity.
My server is in it's own room away from my view. My drives are in hot swap bays which have
power and activity lights. It's comforting to be able to tell at a quick glance what is happening,
but you must get up and walk in there to see them. It's just not something I do very often...
The lights are not necessary for the most part, but they have their uses to be sure.

Thanks to all! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.