Have I broken my FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x86 (r11950)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdp160

Cadet
Its been working fine for years with plugin paths

/mnt/FirstDisk/Media
/mnt/FirstDisk/PluginsJail

I had transmission installed.

Today I downloaded Firefly and minidlna.(firefly-1696_8-i386.pbi and minidlna-1.0.25_1-i386.pbi)

Used the wizard to "Place to temporarily place the two PBI file" in /mnt/FirstDisk/Media

Uploaded both to the plugin jail

Now plugins service will not start.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not sure where you got those PBIs from, but the only PBIs I know of that are available are for FreeNAS 9. They won't be compatible with FreeNAS 8.x.

If you plan to use plugins with FreeNAS, I'd highly recommend you upgrade to FreeNAS 9.

hdp160

Cadet
Thanks I really want to upgrade but I am petrified I will mess it up..................

I have an old PC with two 500Gb disks full of music and old films.

I have Freenas 8.2.0 release p1 x86 (r11950) on a 2Gb USB stick.

Broadly! Do you think the upgrade would be possible? *** (I wouldn't expect anyone to lead me by the hand but a few tips would be very much appreachiated.)

(BTW the reason I have tried to install firefly/minidlna is that I have just bought a new SMART TV - Tired of watching the films on the PC Etc.)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's possible. But if you are using x86 you are on the shorter end of the leash. ZFS doesn't play well with x86, and x86 is being discontinued by iX. So you may need to start looking at newer hardware.

hdp160

Cadet
Thanks fully understood.

I guess I can keep the two sata HDD's and add them to the new x64 hardware?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are using ZFS, absolutely. Just use the auto-import feature of FreeNAS and it'll automagically appear. You can even take your current thumbdrive and hard drives, put them on the new hardware, then do an upgrade to x64 from x86!
In your case, because of the age of your version, I'd upgrade to 8.3.1-x64, then to 9.1.1, then to any higher number that suits you. I'm using 9.2.0 and very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.