Hardware for Truenas

bernd67

Explorer
Hello Forum,
Any recomends for Truenas Hardware? Can i use old PC Hardware, like Thinkcentre M90p / M58p? Microserver i did read was used, but its a big Hardware..:>)) My old Freenas Hardware is too old for Truenas.

I just read:
Processor 64-bit CPU Working RAM Minimum 16 GB RAM ECC?

I search for a Truenas Hardware to store maybe 8TB of Data similar to Raid 1... (or Raid 5/6 with more disks?)

Is there any special Truenas Hardware?
thx for help.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can i use old PC Hardware
You can, but you probably shouldn't.
like Thinkcentre M90p / M58p
IIRC, those are mini-PCs--very unsuitable for a file server, as any drives would need to be attached via USB, which simply isn't suitable for this use case.
Microserver i did read was used
The HPE microservers are pretty good, small-form-factor servers, and reasonably suitable for smaller NAS use. If they're too big, physically, for you, honestly TrueNAS probably isn't the OS for you, but you might investigate repurposing an Intel-based QNAP or Terramaster NAS. Those would give you the smallest form factor that would be useful, but might not be ideal hardware.

There's a big difference between the hardware TrueNAS will run on (which is just about any x64-based system with at least 8 GB of RAM), and hardware that's suitable for TrueNAS (which would be an actual server with at least 16 GB of RAM; room and an appropriate interface for any disks you need, internally; and a non-Realtek NIC).