hardware questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirkywaters

Cadet
hi folks, need some help and advice. i have a I3-540 processor with an ecs board,running 4 gigs of ddr 3 ram, have 5, 2tb 5400 rpm drives running in raid 5 ,first the question, can i just add 2 additional sticks of ddr3 ram, and will freenas pick up hardware changes or do i have to re install freenas?. also i have an old q6600 processor and a asus p5e vm hdmi motherboard, it has 4sticks of 1gig ram, and supports raid 5, i am thinking about building another nas, should i use this equipment, because ddr2 ram is pricey, and there is no real upgrade potential or should i just try get another i3 processor and compatible motherboard, with ddr3 ram which is cheaper, and the hardware will be newer and faster?, any suggestions, thanks folks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
FreeNAS will be fine if you add RAM. You do not want to use the RAID support on a board that "supports RAID 5" if at all possible (it is likely to not even work). If you build another NAS, strongly consider the sticky in this forum where I make some hardware suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.