Hardware advice for file server

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So a Xeon it is then.
A Xeon is unnecessary; an i3 would be plenty, and even a G-series Pentium would probably be fine. The X10SL7-F is a fine board, but you're paying a bit extra for the onboard SAS HBA. Sure, that gives you the ability to run 14 (or more) disks, but you're only looking at two so far. If you don't really think you'd expand to more than four or six disks, you could probably do fine with a less-expensive board. The disadvantage of an X10, Socket 1150 board vs. an X11, Socket 1151 board is that the latter supports up to 64 GB of RAM, but it doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue in any event.

If you want to go the turnkey route, Synology has a lot to recommend it, but it also has some drawbacks. The hardware tends to be expensive, and you just don't have the data integrity and security you'd have with a well-maintained FreeNAS box. OTOH, Synology has a well-designed and attractive UI, as well as some cloud-access features that FreeNAS doesn't offer.

Edit: For what you're looking to do, a small pre-built server (Proliant ML10, PowerEdge T20/T30, ThinkServer TS140) with RAM upgraded to at least 8 GB would really be fine, and quite possibly less expensive than building it yourself.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
On second thoughts, I have decided that a FreeNAS server may be over the top for my needs and I will just get a Synology unit.
If you're sure. There are some really good benefits of ZFS that you can't get with other systems.
For example, all data in storage has checksums saved so FreeNAS can ensure that the data read back matches the data that was stored.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
For example, all data in storage has checksums saved so FreeNAS can ensure that the data read back matches the data that was stored.
...though Synology uses btrfs, so it (mostly) does this (though btrfs inexplicably only stores checksums for data, not for metadata). There's lots broken with btrfs, but it does checksum the data.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
...though Synology uses btrfs, so it (mostly) does this (though btrfs inexplicably only stores checksums for data, not for metadata). There's lots broken with btrfs, but it does checksum the data.
There must be something about ZFS that is better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
There must be something about ZFS that is better?
Oh, yes, just about everything about ZFS is better, though Synology avoids some of the worst problems with btrfs by not using it as a volume manager (IIRC, they use LVM instead). But the one specific thing you mentioned is also on Synology, albeit in an inferior implementation.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
On second thoughts, I have decided that a FreeNAS server may be over the top for my needs and I will just get a Synology unit.
I don't know a whole lot about the Synology systems but I do remember thinking that the hybrid RAID they use looked a little dangerous from a safety of the data perspective. In other words, I was worried that a drive failure would cause loss of data and I have prevented the organization I work for from purchasing these systems because of it. Here is their own article on it, you decide:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Storage/What_is_Synology_Hybrid_RAID_SHR

The hybrid RAID gives a lot of flexibility, but if I were in your place, and I didn't go with FreeNAS, I would get something like QNAP instead of Synology.

danb35

Hall of Famer
btrfs also stores checksums for metadata.
Really? I could have sworn that I'd read it doesn't. Live and learn.

Ah, now I remember--it wasn't metadata that isn't checksummed, it's parity when using parity RAID. Thanks for the correction.

Inxsible

Guru
@oxhey Look at the configuration that I use for my FreeNAS box. I think it should serve you plenty. I use the same case and my requirements are similar to yours except that I also use it at home as an Emby server.

I am in the process of upgrading my server to another 16 or 24 bay box and converting my Node304 box into a backup unit after I replace the 500GB drives by 6TB ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.