FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

AinsWorth

Dabbler
Please be gentle on me, I am trying to learn as fast as I can. I have read most of what I could understand and was wanting some advice on a build.
Not sure if https://pcpartpicker.com/ is accepted on this forum, but I am using it to check to see if build is feasible. Going to be using this as a Home NAS for redundancy and media/file storage, I am planning on backing everything I put on it up.
Don't plan on using plex, I prefer Kodi as the devices that are connected to tv's are more then capable of handling any trans coding on streaming. "Hope I said that Right"
Any advice is more then welcome even if its not something I want to hear.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cQHPgL

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X11SAE-F-O ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($101.99 @ B&H)
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($107.09 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($107.09 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($105.02 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ B&H)
Total: $906.04

Thank you in advance, Ains

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

AinsWorth

Dabbler
Because I couldn't find an ATX board that would work, with my setup on PCPartpicker.com.. Is it going to be an issue?
Do you have any suggestions?

Also how can you tell if its a Workstation board? am I missing something...

Edit: I have been checking out the board you are using and it was on my list many of times. If you would recommend it please tell me the pro's in comparison to these boards. Thank you

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Because I couldn't find an ATX board that would work
Why the hell do you want something larger? You're not getting more PCI-e connectivity, the platform is limited to 16+8 lanes.
Also how can you tell if its a Workstation board?
It's a workstation model code.
Do you have any suggestions?
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/so-you’ve-decided-to-buy-a-supermicro-x11-board.13/
Is it going to be an issue?
It's not ideal, but it would work.
If you would recommend it please tell me the pro's in comparison to these boards.
Less crap that will never be used in a server.

AinsWorth

Dabbler
Why would I want a larger board.. The simple answer, miniaturization is not always better. Having the board spread out will also make things better cable wise. But I see your point. The case I am using is going to be able to fit an ATX board easy, and still have extra room. I am not trying to offend you, just trying to explain my way of thinking..

Is their a cheat sheet for model code? I have been reading a lot about freeNAS but I feel I am only just starting up this mountain. I am in your care :)

please explain this crap, that I will never be using?
I try to Future Proof "Damn I said it" so which part am I not going to be using later. Because I bet I will. I am a tinker!

But thank you for your response.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
please explain this crap, that I will never be using?
Audio, at least. I'd have to check the specs for details.

The boards listed in the documents I linked are the most appropriate for a server (practically any server, not just FreeNAS).
Is their a cheat sheet for model code?
There's a detailed guide to Supermicro mothers motherboard model codes. There's also the guide I liked, which explains exactly what the differences are between the recommended boards.
The simple answer, miniaturization is not always better
The miniaturization is always there, that's how things get cheaper and faster. The extra space on the workstation boards is mostly empty (and often filled with filler stuff like PCIe x1 or legacy PCI slots, neither of which is going to be of any use with FreeNAS.
Having the board spread out will also make things better cable wise.
Highly dubious. Having neat cabling is a matter of planning and elbow grease. Not that there will be many cables running around.

AinsWorth

Dabbler
I have to admit audio isn't something I will ever be using on a NAS. Besides that, I am using PCpartchecker and compatibility is a troublesome matter. I am trying to keep parts in my budget as well as give myself room to improve in the future. In your previous posts you have linked a few links in regards to motherboards, the few questions that I have are am I going to be able to keep the I3 processor? And if so is the motherboard still going to support ECC? Because of your posts I am looking for an alternative "Or the Same MOBO" Could you recommend a board that would fit my needs with out me having to read for an hour to finally give up?

Thank you, I will go two the Supermicro website and see if I can locate these codes.

We will have to agree to disagree on the last two things you stated a response two. miniaturization has pro's and con's.

I ask you, if you are willing to look over my build and let me know, if this will work for the NAS that I have envisioned. You have provided me a bit of information for that I am grateful.
Also I have seen your build in your description, could you please tell me your costs and what you are using this for. I am highly interested.. However I am still stuck on the NXZT case :)

Edit: Side note, Unless I am blind I didn't see my board on the links you listed? Am I to assume that the board that I have linked wouldn't work?

Last edited:

AinsWorth

Dabbler
Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O LGA1151 Micro ATX 4 64GB
(0) $223.09 Add
Supermicro C7Z170-M LGA1151 Micro ATX 4 64GB
(0) Add
Supermicro MBD-X11SSL-O LGA1151 Micro ATX 4 64GB
(0) $171.98 Add
Supermicro MBD-X11SAE-F-O LGA1151 ATX 4 64GB
(0) $239.99 Add
Supermicro X11SSL-CF LGA1151 Micro ATX 4 64GB
(0) Add
Supermicro C7Z170-SQ LGA1151 ATX 4 64GB
(0) $169.75 Add
Supermicro MBD-X11SSH-LN4F LGA1151 Micro ATX 4 64GB
(0) $241.98 Add
Supermicro MBD-X11SSL-F-O LGA1151 Micro ATX 4 64GB
(0) $204.23 Add
Supermicro X11SAE-M LGA1151 Micro ATX 4 64GB
(0) Add
Supermicro MBD-X11SSH-F LGA1151 Micro ATX 4 64GB
(0) Add
Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F LGA1151 Micro ATX 4 64GB
(0) Add
Supermicro C7Z170-OCE LGA1151 ATX 4 64GB
(0) $241.46 Add

These are the mother boards that support i3 6300 socket on pcpartchecker.com
Not all of them Have IPMI, Would love to have this.
If no price is specified thats because there is no seller linked on pcpartchecker.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In your previous posts you have linked a few links in regards to motherboards, the few questions that I have are am I going to be able to keep the I3 processor? And if so is the motherboard still going to support ECC?
Yes, of course.
Am I to assume that the board that I have linked wouldn't work?
As I said, it's not recommended.

AinsWorth

Dabbler
I have looked at two boards that have peeked my interests.
X11SAE-F
X11SSH-F
I am leaning more towards the SAE-F because of its upgrade ability. I understand its not on the recommended list, as you said its not ideal but it will work. I am still seeking information and personal opinions as to preference, at this point I am still in the planning stage. Any input is wanted.
Thank you again

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
am leaning more towards the SAE-F because of its upgrade ability.
???

You mean the legacy PCI and x1 PCIe slots? As I said, those are absolutely useless for a server. Literally everything you might want for a server comes at least in x4 cards.
The M.2 slot is something of a gimmick, which makes the X11SSM-F a more rational purchase in most cases. The latter even has more available PCIe lanes, since the X11SSH-F has two of them unused.

Last edited:

AinsWorth

Dabbler
CPU
  • Intel® 6th Generation Core™ i3 series
  • Intel® 6th Generation Core™ i5 series
  • Intel® 6th Generation Core™ i7 series
  • Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 v5 series
  • Socket H4 (LGA 1151) supported; CPU TDP support Up to 95W TDP
I have no interest in the m.2 slot, and I wont need the PCIe lanes I don't plan on this build going higher then 6 drives. As I type this I am re encoding my media and compressing it with out compression quality loss "At least not a noticeable loss"
Are the x4 cards not compatible? " just checked this out Blond moment" ignore this
I will look over the SSM-F again as I said I am still learning and I am taking your advice that you give very seriously.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
???

You mean the legacy PCI and x1 PCIe slots? As I said, those are absolutely useless for a server. Literally everything you might want for a server comes at least in x4 cards.

The M.2 slot is something of a gimmick, which makes the X11SSM-F a more ration purchase in most cases. The latter even has more available PCIe lanes, since the X11SSH-F has two of them unused.

If the m.2 slots are x2 they're even more of a gimmick. It's easy enough to use a simple PCIe m.2 adapter. If you have a x4 slot

AinsWorth

Dabbler
I guess my question is, seeing my build and what I plan on doing with it. What would be your recommendation for a board with I3. I am wanting something newer and not years old. But at the same time it needs to fit my needs. A few posts up, I setup a new build using your board, would you recommend it? I am willing to go with ATX or smaller. Most likely I wont change the case. I have plenty of room in my Office\Room. Honestly If I get a board that will work for me, it will improve my research time by leaps and bounds.
Thank you,

Stux

MVP
I think the X11-SSM-F is the pick of the X11 boards, happy to be corrected

It has the C236 chipset, which means 8 sata ports instead of 6. Worth it in my opinion.

AinsWorth

Dabbler
Thank you, I will see what I can put together. Hoping for more input if anyone is willing.

Edit: Its currently out of stock on newegg.com, I have it on my watch list. I'm not in any hurry, Ordered a WD 4T drive and its coming in the mail Tuesday. It will handle my back up needs for now.

This is what I am looking at building now.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RMzbCy

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($223.09 @ Jet)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($101.99 @ B&H)
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT H230 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($71.74 @ B&H)
Total: $830.86

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.