GUI help/hint ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogartz

Dabbler
In the Web GUI the "?" to the right of the fields provides some helpful information on what the field is or is requiring. For me the "?" that is to the far right of the window hides behind the border so I can't read it. Is this happening to anyone else? I added a picture of what I'm seeing. Is this a z-axis issue with code causing the info to display behind the border?

My monitors are 27" @ 1440p

Sorry if this has been brought up before, I tried searching for this issue but I think my search context missed the target.
FreeNAS GUI help bubble.JPG

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
In the Web GUI the "?" to the right of the fields provides some helpful information on what the field is or is requiring. For me the "?" that is to the far right of the window hides behind the border so I can't read it. Is this happening to anyone else? I added a picture of what I'm seeing. Is this a z-axis issue with code causing the info to display behind the border?

My monitors are 27" @ 1440p

Sorry if this has been brought up before, I tried searching for this issue but I think my search context missed the target.
No, I don't recall seeing this before, it is a new GUI and there are bound to be little issues here and there. You probably need to file a bug report on this so the development team can look into it. Is this happening throughout or just in a certain part of the GUI?
It might be a browser specific issue. Did you try it in any other browsers and what browser were you using?
Is the browser in a window or maximized?

Bogartz

Dabbler
No, I don't recall seeing this before, it is a new GUI and there are bound to be little issues here and there. You probably need to file a bug report on this so the development team can look into it. Is this happening throughout or just in a certain part of the GUI?
It might be a browser specific issue. Did you try it in any other browsers and what browser were you using?
Is the browser in a window or maximized?

I'm using Chrome, fullscreen 1440p and FreeNAS 11.2 and it happens in every instance where the "?" is located to the right of the main window as seen in the picture. What I did notice was when I opened up developer tools to look at some of the code the developer tools window caused the "?" info bubble to display in the middle of the screen rather than to the right under the border. Seems like the developer tool window changed the screen size forcing the "?" bubble to move left where I could then see it.

I tried IE and I didn't have the issue, so it seems there is an issue with Chrome. I don't use any other browsers so can't say what happens with Firefox or any of the others.

I'll submit a bug report. Thanks for that Chris.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I tried IE and I didn't have the issue, so it seems there is an issue with Chrome. I don't use any other browsers so can't say what happens with Firefox or any of the others.
I remember seeing a post that Firefox was the preferred browser, but it would be best if the interface worked in all browsers.

Bogartz

Dabbler
I remember seeing a post that Firefox was the preferred browser, but it would be best if the interface worked in all browsers.

I did happen to come across a post in the bug discussion here which someone asked the question and the mod said there were several items identified relating to the issue I'm having and to wait for 11.2 release to determine if the issue still exists. If it does still exist submit a bug report if one has not been submitted.

I've resorted to just opening the developer tools window to force the screen resolution it needs to show up to the left of the border so I can read it.

For the time being I'll just turn to my workaround knowing that the issue is probably being looked at to be fixed soon.

I'll try to find the link with the mods suggestions so it's here and possibly find my bug report submission to link if that's possible?

Last edited:

dkmullen

Cadet
I'm working on this issue and (for me) it is an especially intermittent problem. I would appreciate any help in reliably reproducing it.

In testing it yesterday, I was able to reproduce it on various pages maybe 1 time in 50, and on both Chromium and Firefox. It happens on page load, and the user might never see if if they 1) don't roll over a tooltip or 2) have their screen at a width where the tooltip displays to the left rather than the right. When I refresh the page, everything is right again for another fifty page views or more.

Here's where I could use some help...
  • Is anyone seeing this much more frequently than I have mentioned?
  • Does it fail to 'correct' itself on page refresh?
If either is the case, what can you tell me about your hardware? Is it notably slow or fast, older or newer? Overall does your system load pages quickly or does it have any other problems you think might be related?

Bogartz

Dabbler
I did notice last week that the issue was less frequent and seemed to depend on which tab I was in. I don't know if it I tried refreshing the page, that could have been why I was seeing the issue less. I had a hardware failure on an HTPC and had to shuffle some parts around so my NAS box is in pieces. I have some less than hardware laying around that I'm working on getting put together to get a partial NAS box running this weekend. I'll try to do some testing per your request.

1st build hardware (where I noticed the issue):
Gigabyte B450 Aorus M
Ryzen 2400G
16 gig Corsair Vengeance
550W PSU
WD Red and Black HDDs
OCZ 150 SSD

2nd build hardware which is much older than the first:
Gigabyte GA-B75N
Intel i3 3240 (I think, didn't take the cooler off to look)
8 gig G Skill 1333
WD300 Raptor HDD (for testing)
550W PSU

Thanks for looking into this issue Dennis, I'll try to get some info back to you ASAP.

dkmullen

Cadet
One place I may have seen it more than others is storage/snapshots/add. Don't know if it is statistically significant, but if someone wants to give that page a try to duplicate this problem...
Screenshot from 2018-12-28 16-51-30.png

Bogartz

Dabbler
I know I seen it there along with a few other spots simply because this was my first FreeNAS build so I was looking for any help I could find. I was trying to setup Pools and I know I peaked in just about every option in the GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.