Growing / replacing a single-disk "stripe" zvol

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungarianhc

Patron
Hi there,

I have two ZFS volumes on my FreeNAS box. One of them is a standard spinning disk RaidZ2 volume for all of my data. The other one is a 32GB SSD in "stripe" mode that I use just for my jails. I didn't do a good job of predicting how much metadata / media thumbnails / etc that Plex needs so my 32GB stripe SSD is now 90% full. The single dataset on my SSD volume is set as the root dataset for the jails. I'd like to pop in a 128GB SSD and migrate everything over and have that be a replacement... Is that even possible?

Another alternative would be to pop in a new disk, create a new stripe volume, and change the jail root, but what would that do, as there is no data on the new destination jail root...

It seems like the most simple option, but least "elegant" from a hardware perspective, would be to grab a second SSD, pop it in the box, and extend the current volume... Would rather just replace the drive w/ a larger one though. Thanks in advance!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Easy.. you make the new pool on your SSD then do a zfs replication task to your new pool. Then export both SSD pools and rename your "new" pool to be the same name as the "old" pool. Problem solved.

Another way is to add your 128GB SSD as a "mirror" from the CLI (which means this is somewhat risky) and then after it resilvers simply remove the 32GB drive. ;)

hungarianhc

Patron
Thanks, Cyberjock! I will report back if I have any issues. I think I'll unnecessarily splurge and get one of those sexy new Samsung 850 Pro SSDs :smile:.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thinking about this more you are probably better off with the mirroring idea (option 2). If you are going to be available this weekend I would be willing to help you do this and putting a small guide together for others simultaneously. Just let me know....

hungarianhc

Patron
Thanks for the offer, Cyberjock - there are a couple issues here... 1) I haven't been home in a while... 2) I haven't ordered the larger SSD yet... 3) I'm worried that the disk will completely fill up due to snapshots haha.

I'm very thankful for your offer to help and create a guide. Once I get the new SSD, I'd love to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.