Greetings from Toronto Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_jazzn

Dabbler
Hello Everyone,

Thought I would finally join the forum after information snooping these past few months and dreaming of what I could do with a FreeNAS build. I am approaching the idea of diving into FreeNAS with mix of caution and anticipation.

I have created a short list of components based on a mini-ITX build. However I am finding the mini-ITX build path has limited motherboard options. Therefore as an alternate, I may be creating a component list based on uATX form factor.

I expect the learning and effort put into FreeNAS will produce some nice returns.

Cheers,
dj

Yatti420

Wizard
Welcome.. What do you want to do with the box?

dj_jazzn

Dabbler
Thanks, Yatti420

My primary goal is a centralized file server in my home network (2-3 users, a mix of Windows, Mac, android, IOS devices). I occasionally tinker with Ubuntu, so that may end up in the mix too.

Down the road I want to explore volume encryption, some plug-ins including : owncloud, plex or miniDLNA, and maybe crashplan.

I will be posting my shopping list shortly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

warri

Guru
The Mini-ITX form factor got some serious alternatives to ATX boards with the new Avoton boards (see this or this thread). Keep in mind that you need sufficient cooling in a small case - especially with a passively cooled CPU - to avoid killing your hard drives.

Yatti420

Wizard
The nice thing with no limit to form factor is you don't have to worry about cramming hardware in small spaces.. Sometimes it's nice to have a beigebox..

dj_jazzn

Dabbler
The nice thing with no limit to form factor is you don't have to worry about cramming hardware in small spaces.. Sometimes it's nice to have a beigebox..

Good point. All the more reason to keep my options open for something a little more spacious. However i am leaning towards a white or black box. Gave up on those beige boxes years ago...;)

Yatti420

Wizard
Mine is black.. If it's going to be on the cheap end and it's new case test it with used hardware before installing brand new freenas parts etc.. Never know when something will touch & short etc..

dj_jazzn

Dabbler
The Mini-ITX form factor got some serious alternatives to ATX boards with the new Avoton boards (see this or this thread). Keep in mind that you need sufficient cooling in a small case - especially with a passively cooled CPU - to avoid killing your hard drives.

Thanks for the links warri. I will definitely check them out.

Here is a quick list of what I have been considering for the mini-ITX build option:

CPU: Intel Xenon E3-1230v3​
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock E3C226D2I​
MEMORY: 16 GB Kingston KVR16LE11/8KF​
OS STORAGE: 4GB usb mounted to the board​
HDD STORAGE: 6 X HDD configured to RAID-Z2, capacity and drive mfg. TBD (leaning toward WD - RED)​
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair RM450​
CASE: Fractal Node 304 (White)​
UPS: TBD after some system testing​
If I decide on the larger form factor option, I would most likely base it on a Supermicro board. That however will require more research on my part.

dj_jazzn

Dabbler
After a bit if a hiatus, I have put together a wish list for my "Larger" Form factor build. Some components are identical to the mini-ITX build I listed in the previous comment.

For what it's worth, here is the build proposal:

CPU: Intel Xenon E3-1230v3
MOTHERBOARD: Supermicro X10SLM-F
MEMORY: 16 GB Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0
OS STORAGE: Cruzer Fit 4GB
HDD STORAGE: 6 X HDD configured to RAID-Z2, (WD - RED, capacity TBD)
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair RM450
CASE: Fractal DEFINE Mini
UPS: TBD after some system testing
There are some things I am still debating/considering with this build:
  • Size of HDDs. 6 X 4GB would be the best per $/GB value, however 6*(HDD COST) = :eek:.
  • Will the manufacturer recommended RAM for this motherboard be available 3-4 years down the road if I choose to upgrade?
But really, what am I waiting for. These uncertainties shouldn't keep me from pulling the trigger on this project. Assuming this is an acceptable FreeNAS build, properly configured and maintained, then the benefits should last for years to come.

DJABE

Contributor
Nice build. What do you mean with " the manufacturer recommended RAM" -> if you plan to upgrade to max 32 GB (to add another 2x8 sticks)?
3 TB WD RED (EFRX series) are best buy at present time ... my opinion and local market offering.
4 TB RED drives are much expensive for only 1/4 bigger capacity then 3 TB models (comparing 2 TB and 3 TB where price difference is really not that big).

DJABE

Contributor
Nice build. What do you mean with " the manufacturer recommended RAM" -> if you plan to upgrade to max 32 GB (to add another 2x8 sticks)?
3 TB WD RED (EFRX series) are best buy at present time ... my opinion and local market offering.
4 TB RED drives are much expensive for only 1/4 bigger capacity then 3 TB models (comparing 2 TB and 3 TB where price difference is really not that big).

dj_jazzn

Dabbler

Thanks. I basically followed some similar builds found in the FreeNas forums.

My concerns with the ram is that the recommended (tested memory list) by SUPERMICRO is a short list (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SLM-F.cfm follow link to "Tested Memory List" ). When my storage needs increase and a memory upgrade is required, will the "recommended" memory DIMMs still be available? If not, is it safe or recommended to mix other model/manufacturer DIMM types?

Thanks for the suggestions on the HDD options. 6X4TB configured to a RAID-Z2 array is probably more than I need today. Down the road however, that will change. Great thing about FreeNas is that in the future once all drives are replaced with larger capacity and lower cost drives, the pool will increase.

Hyperion

Dabbler
That is a very good point.
Trying to buy old ram in the future may be difficult’

DJABE

Contributor
Well, when DDR4 sticks arrive, old DDR3 would be out of stock as the time passes by. That's natural. That's why I'd like to grab another 2x8 GB of RAM, and to fulfil maximum supported capacity (32GB)
P.S. I believe perhaps these C22x Intel chip-sets would work with more than 32 GB of RAM (i.e. 4x 16 GB sticks = 64 GB). That limit is 'tested' with currently available sticks (that would be 8 GB ~2 yrs ago when they tested chip-set..). I've seen people at some hosting companies to put as much as 48GB of RAM on a MOBO which officially supports only 16 GB...

Status
Not open for further replies.