Greetings From New England

Status
Not open for further replies.

ember1205

Cadet
Hi, all.

20+ year tech veteran that's worked on everything from pre-release Slackware Linux (WAY before the 1.0 kernel) to current versions of Windows, firewalls, switches, routers, various network service appliances, etc. I don't believe I'll find a -lot- under the hood of FreeNAS that will be new to me (ZFS is definitely new), but I haven't necessarily seen the various pieces put together in this exact way.

I currently have a couple of Linux servers running Samba and NFS that I'm collapsing down and am also building a fairly good-sized virtualization farm with two XenServer 7 hosts (one of which is a high-end HP Z800 with dual hexa core X5680 CPUs and 96GB RAM).

I just picked up a pair of HGST 5TB SATA drives and also have a 1TB SATA SSD that I am looking to fold into a NAS device. The 1TB drive will be used as a repository specifically for the XS environment so that I can XenMotion hosts between / among my servers much more easily. Each of my XS hosts has a 500G SATA SSD but I'm considering changing those out for 60G drives and moving the 500G drives to the FreeNAS box as well.

If anyone has some directly relevant experience with the sort of thing I'm looking to do for the FreeNAS box, and could offer some pointers to useful threads and such, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you. Feel free to make a post asking specific questions as they come up and we'll see if we can pitch in and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.